Canisius (11-6, 5-1 MAAC) at Iona (8-7, 5-1 MAAC)
Date: Friday, January 17, 2014
Time: 9 p.m.
Location: New Rochelle, N.Y. | Hynes Athletic Center
Talent: Doug Sherman (p-x-p) and Tim McCormick (color)
Live Audio: AM-1400 WWWS (Buffalo) & GoGriffs.com
Talent: Jay Moran (p-x-p)
Live Stats: Available through ICGaels.com
Twitter: @Griffs_MBB | #Griffs; #MAACHoops
The Canisius College men's basketball team retuns to the hardwood tonight when the Golden Griffins travel to Iona for a MAAC game that will be televised live on ESPNU. Canisius and Iona met three times last season, capped by the Gaels' 89-85 win over the Griffs in the quarterfinal round of the 2013 MAAC Championship.
• After winning two MAAC games at home last weekend, Canisius returns to the road, starting tonight at Iona.
• The Griffs are coming off an 87-67 win over Monmouth Jan. 12, in the Koessler Athletic Center. In that game, Canisius senior Billy Baron scored a game-high 26 points and freshman Zach Lewis tossed in a career-high 25 points after he knocked down seven 3-point field goals.
• The Griffs come into this game with an 11-6 overall record and a 5-1 mark in MAAC play. This marks the third time since 1989-90 where the Griffs are 5-1 in league play after six games, and this is the first time since 1996-97.
FAST BREAK POINTS
• The Griffs are averaging 78.2 points per game in their last five contests.
• Canisius senior Billy Baron ranks sixth in the nation in scoring average. Baron is averaging 22.9 points per game through 17 games this season and he’s been good for 23.4 points per game in six MAAC contests this year.
• Canisius freshman Zach Lewis scored a career-high 25 points in the win over Monmouth Jan. 12. That stands as the most points in a game for a Canisius rookie since Micheal Meeks had 25 points in a win over Saint Peter’s Feb. 11, 1993.
• The team’s win over Monmouth Jan. 12, was the 420th in the head-coaching career of Jim Baron. That win allowed Baron to pass Digger Phelps on the career wins list. Baron was an assistant under Phelps at Notre Dame from 1981-87.
ABOUT THE GAELS
• Iona comes into this evening’s game with an 8-7 overall record and a 5-1 mark in the MAAC after the team defeated Siena 87-78 on the road Jan. 12.
• The Gaels lead the MAAC and rank 18th in the nation in scoring average at 82.8 points per game.
• Senior Sean Armand leads the team and ranks fifth in the MAAC in scoring average with 19.1 points per game. Armand is one of four Iona players averaging in double figures this season.
• Armand (47 3-point field goals) and sophomore A.J. English (45 3-point field goals) have combined to make 92 of Iona’s MAAC-leading 160 3-point field goals this year (57.5 percent).
• Defensively, Iona is giving up an average of 80.3 points per game. That ranks ninth in the MAAC and 329th in the nation.
CANISIUS - IONA SERIES
• This is the 62nd all-time meeting between these two schools in a series that began Feb. 19, 1955.
• Iona has won four of the last five games overall between the schools and eight of the last 12 contests in the series, dating back to the 2008 MAAC Championship in Albany, N.Y.
• The Griffs have not won in their last six trips to Iona’s campus. The last Canisius win in the Hynes Athletic Center came on Jan. 29, 2007, a 71-61 Canisius victory.