Games No. 37-38
Canisius (22-14) at Buffalo
Tuesday, April 22
Amherst Audubon Field
Game No. 39
Canisius vs. Youngstown State
Wednesday, April 23
Demske Sports Complex
- Canisius is scheduled for three mid-week games this week, playing a doubleheader at Buffalo on Tuesday, and hosting Youngstown State in a single game on Wednesday.
- Canisius and Buffalo have played twice earlier this season at the Demske Sports Complex, with Canisius winning both games by the score of 12-11.
- Canisius and Youngstown State are meeting for the first time this season. The Golden Griffins have won the last four meetings, including a 5-3 win last year.
- Canisius took two of three games in a non-conference series against Indiana State last weekend. The Sycamores started the week ranked No. 19 in the official NCAA RPI.
- Canisius now has three wins against teams ranked in the top 100 of the RPI. The other 10 teams in the MAAC have one combined.
- Since the start of the 2008 season Canisius has 239 wins, which is the second-highest total in the Northeast as the Griffs only trail Connecticut (240).
- Canisius is the only team in the Northeast to have 33 or more wins in five of the last six seasons.
LET'S LOOK AT THE STAT SHEET
- Canisius ranks 12th in the country in batting average (.307), 30 points better than any other team in the MAAC. The Griffs are also 20th in the country in scoring at 6.8 runs per game.
- The Griffs rank sixth in the country with 18 triples. Twelve Golden Griffins account for the 18 triples, which is the highest total in the country. Senior Jesse Kelso recorded his 11th career triple on Saturday, setting the program record.
- Canisius ranks fifth in the country in on-base percentage (.412). Sophomore Anthony Massicci is 10th in the country in the category (.500) while Jimmy Luppens is 25th (.487). Canisius is one of three schools, joining Delaware State and UConn, in the country with two players in the top 25.
- Canisius has a team fielding percentage of .973, which is tied for the best fielding percentage in the conference. During the last seven games, Canisius has a team fielding percentage of .988 and has committed three errors.
- Junior Rohn Pierce leads the MAAC and ranks 21st in the country with seven victories. Pierce is second in the league in ERA (2.50) and walks allowed per nine innings (1.31).
- Buffalo enters Tuesday's doubleheader with a 17-14 overall record. The Bulls had a five-game winning streak snapped over the weekend and lost two of three games in a conference series at Kent State.
- Buffalo is hitting .263 as a team with Tyler Mautner leading the team at .351 and with a team-high 34 RBI. Nick Sinay leads the squad with 17 stolen bases and is 12th nationally with 16 HBP.
- The Bulls have a team ERA of 3.93 and are only allowing 8.06 hits per nine innings.
- Tuesday's games will be the first true home games of the season for Buffalo.
YOUNGSTOWN STATE SCOUT
- Youngstown State starts the week with an 8-24 record after taking two of three games in a conference series with Oakland. The Penguins face the University of Akron on Tuesday.
- The Penguins are hitting .254 as a team, with Alex Larivee leading the team at .340. Phil Lipari has a team-best three home runs and 16 RBI.
- Youngstown State has a team ERA of 7.58. Kevin Yarabinec is 0-1 with a 2.13 ERA in 11 relief appearances.