Canisius (11-16-3, 10-10-3 AHA) vs. Robert Morris (12-14-4, 12-7-4 AHA)
Dates: Friday, February 21 / Saturday, February 22
Times: 7:05 p.m. / 7:05 p.m.
Locations: Pittsburgh, Pa. / Buffalo, N.Y.
TV/Webcast: America One Network
Live Audio: GoGriffs.com
DI Series History: Robert Morris leads, 9-5-1
With just two weekends remaining in the regular season, the Canisius College hockey team squares off with Robert Morris for two games this weekend. The schools are set to meet on Friday in Pittsburgh and on Saturday in Buffalo with both games slated for 7:05 p.m.
SCOUTING THE GRIFFS
• Canisius (11-16-3, 9-9-3 AHA) split a two-game series last weekend with Air Force, claiming a 4-0 win to go along with a 4-2 loss.
• Senior Kyle Gibbons leads Canisius with 29 points, 13 goals and eight power-play tallies this season.
• Senior Tony Capobianco owns a 3.07 goals against average and .907 save percentage in 20 starts this season with a 7-10-2 record.
AHA TOURNAMENT UPDATE
• The Griffs enter the second-to-last weekend of the regular season in seventh place of the Atlantic Hockey standings with four games left.
• Canisius clinches home ice for the first round with two more wins.
• The Griffs are also six points back of fourth place. Canisius needs to gain at least two points on Air Force or Connecticut this weekend to remain in contention for a first-round bye.
GIBBONS NAMED SENIOR CLASS AWARD FINALIST
• Kyle Gibbons was named one of 10 finalists nationally for the Senior CLASS Award on Wednesday.
• An acronym for Celebrating Loyalty and Achievement for Staying in School, the award recognizes achievements in four areas of excellence – classroom, character, community and competition.
• Fans can vote for Gibbons at www.SeniorClassAward.com
• CLICK HERE TO VOTE FOR KYLE GIBBONS
• Gibbons leads the Griffs with 29 points and 13 goals this season.
STRONG START, FLAT FINISH
• Canisius has played much better in the first game of series this season.
• In two-game Atlantic Hockey series against the same team, the Griffs are 6-2-1 in the first contest.
• However, Canisius has responded with just a 2-5-2 mark in the second game.
CANISIUS - ROBERT MORRIS SERIES HISTORY
• In 15 all-time meetings between the two schools, Robert Morris holds a 9-5-1 advantage.
• The Colonials are also 7-3-0 against the Griffs in Atlantic Hockey play.
• Robert Morris has won the last four games in the series – all in the last two years.
• The Colonials cruised to a 6-1 victory in Pittsburgh earlier in the season.
ABOUT THE COLONIALS
• Robert Morris enters as one of the hottest teams in the nation, going 10-2-2 since the beginning of January. Overall, the Colonials are 12-14-4 and sit in fifth place in the Atlantic Hockey standings with a 12-7-4 league mark.
• Cody Wydo leads Robert Morris with 37 points and 21 goals. Zac Lynch is second with 32 points, including a team-best 17 assists.
• Terry Shafer has started 27-of-30 games in net, posting a 12-12-4 record, 2.74 goals against average and .920 save percentage.
Courtesy: Dave Hahn: CSI Photo
Hockey Meets Robert Morris for Two Games
Courtesy: Canisius College Athletics