After splitting a pair of road games to start the 2013 season, Canisius returns to Buffalo to face UMass Lowell in its home opener. Kickoff at the Demske Sports Complex is set for 1 p.m.
• The Griffs got off to a good start to the 2013 season thanks to the program’s best comeback in 16 years.
• Canisius fell behind 2-0 at Bucknell but two Alex De Carolis’ goals forced overtime and Asani Samuels finished off the victory with a tally in overtime.
• It marked the first time that Canisius rallied from down two goals in a game to earn a victory since Oct. 24, 1997 when the Griffs also fought back from a 2-0 deficit to win in overtime, 3-2, against Marist.
• The 3-2 overtime win against Bucknell also gave Canisius some rare early-season momentum.
• The Griffs’ rally marked the team’s first season-opening victory since a 1-0 victory at Maine during the 2003 season.
• The teams’ three goals are also the most in the Griffs’ first game of the season since also scoring three goals against Western Michigan in 2000.
• After splitting its first two games of the season, Canisius placed sixth in the first NSCAA North Atlantic poll of the season.
• The Griffs earned the regional ranking for the first time in school history during the 2012 campaign and reached as high as second in the poll.
CANISIUS – UMASS LOWELL SERIES HISTORY
• UMass Lowell, in its first year at the Division I level, is playing the Griffs for the first time in series history.
ABOUT THE RIVERHAWKS
• UMass Lowell lost their first two games of the season, falling on the road to Stetson, 1-0 in overtime, and Florida Atlantic, 3-1.
• Homero Morais has scored the lone Riverhawks goal on the season.
• Christopher Maierle has played every second in net so far, posting a 1.99 goals against average and .556 save percentage.
Menís Soccer Hosts UMass Lowell in Home Opener
Courtesy: Canisius College Athletics