Canisius (11-8) at Mount St. Mary’s (8-15, 2-2 NEC)
Date: Saturday, March 30, 2013
Time: Game One starts at 12 p.m.
Place: Our Lady of the Meadows Field – Emmitsburg, Md.
Live Stats: Through MountAthletics.com
Twitter: @GoGriffs (athletic department) or @Griffssoftball (softball)
Hashtags: #Griffs #MAACSoftball
SOFTBALL MEETS MOUNT ST. MARY’S FOR A PAIR ON SATURDAY
• The Canisius College softball team continues its season-opening road trip Saturday, March 30 with a non-league doubleheader at Mount St. Mary’s.
• The Golden Griffins are 11-8 overall after dropping a pair at Ohio University March 23.
• Mount St. Mary’s is 8-15 overall and 2-2 in league play. The Mount plays at Robert Morris in an NEC doubleheader March 29, before meeting the Griffs at home.
• Canisius heads into Saturday’s games ranked 43rd in the nation in team batting average at .307 and the Blue and Gold leads the nation with 0.53 triples per game.
• As a team, Canisius has outscored its opponents by a 111-83 clip this season.
The Griffs’ 5.84 runs per game is 36th in the country. Canisius has scored eight or more runs in seven of the team’s first 19 games this season.
• Senior Stephanie Pfentner leads the team with her .408 batting average, which ranks 74th in the country.
• Freshman Meghan Cuda ranks third the country in triples per game average with 0.21 per contest. Sophomore Michelle DelPrince ranks 15th in the nation with 0.16 triples per game this season. As a team, 10 of the team’s 42 extra-base hits this year have been triples.
• The Griffs have racked up 28 doubles this season, led by Pfentner’s team-high six two-base hits. Among Canisius batters with at least 30 at-bats this season, seven of those hitters have at least two doubles on the year.
• Freshman Tori Nappo leads the Blue and Gold with 16 RBIs this season, while sophomore Robin Kennery ranks second on the roster with 15 runs batted in.
• Junior Jen Consaul leads the team with her seven wins and she starts this weekend ranked 133rd in the nation with her 2.37 ERA.
• Consaul ranks third in the MAAC with her team-high 52 strikeouts this season. She starts Saturday’s action with 183 career strikeouts, leaving her 17 shy of reaching the 200-career strikeout milestone.
• Canisius head coach Mike Rappl became the fourth Division I softball coach this season to record career win No. 800 March 15, when the Blue and Gold defeated George Mason 6-3. His 801 career wins are the most for any coach in any sport in MAAC history.
ABOUT THE MOUNT
• Mount St. Mary’s is 8-15 overall and 2-2 in Northeast Conference play this season. The team plays at Robert Morris March 29, before returning home to host the Griffs.
• The Mountaineers have scored 95 runs through their first 23 games and the team has 11 home runs to its credit.
• Cat Clifford leads the Mount St. Mary’s offense with her .328 batting average this season. She also has a team-high six homers.
CANISIUS – MOUNT ST. MARY’S SERIES
• This will mark the sixth and seventh all-time meetings between Canisius and Mount St. Mary’s in softball, with the Griffs holding a 4-1 lead in the series.
• The Griffs split a doubleheader with the Mount last season at the Demske Sports Complex. Canisius’ 1-0 win in 10 innings in the first game of the twinbill improved the team to 21-2 all-time in home openers.
• In that 10-inning win, Jen Consaul went the distance in the circle and fanned 10 batters, which was her career high prior to her 11 strikeout effort in a 12-0 win over North Carolina A&T earlier this year.