Canisius at Titan Classic (hosted by Cal State Fullerton)
Dates: March 14-15, 2014
Teams: Canisius, Cal State Fullerton, DePaul, Texas Tech and UNLV
Place: Anderson Family Field – Fullerton, Calif.
Twitter: @GoGriffs (athletic department) or @GriffsSoftball (softball)
Hashtags: #Griffs #MAACSoftball
SOFTBALL HEADS WEST FOR SPRING BREAK TRIP
- The Canisius College softball team opens its Spring Break trip March 14-15 as the Golden Griffins travel to Fullerton, Calif. to take part in the Titan Classic at Cal State Fullerton's Anderson Family Field.
- The Griffs are 3-8 in the season after splitting a non-conference doubleheader March 9 at Miami (Ohio).
- Canisius is scheduled to play four games in the Titan Classic, starting March 14, when the Blue and Gold meet Texas Tech and the host Fullerton Titans.
- The Griffs will be out west from March 14-22, where the team is slated to play a total of 11 games.
- Canisius sophomore Alexis Roman leads the Griffs and ranks second in the MAAC (among players with 20 at-bats) with her .393 batting average. She has a team-high 11 hits this year for the Blue and Gold.
- Fellow junior Robin Kennery and freshman Jessica Berzins are each hitting .250 on the year. As a team, Canisius is batting .219.
- Sophomore Meghan Cuda has a team-high eight RBI this season after recording 19 runs batted in through 47 games a season ago.
- Canisius has a total of 11 extra-base hits this season. Cuda leads the team in that category as well with her team leading three home runs.
- Cuda and junior teammate Michelle DelPrince are tied for the team lead with five runs scored. In the Griffs' first 11 games, Canisius has been out scored 69-25.
- Senior Jen Consaul leads the Blue and Gold in the circle with her 2-4 record to go with her 2.20 ERA. She has fanned 10 batters this season to give her 250 for her career.
THE FULLERTON SCOUT
- Cal State Fullerton enters this weekend with a 15-10 overall record. The Titans have dropped three-straight games.
- Fullerton is 11-5 at home this season, including a win over then No. 2 Oklahoma Feb. 7.
- Missy Taukeaiho leads the Titans' offense with her .359 batting average. She has six homers and has scored 21 runs this season.
- Pitcher Jasmine Antunez is 15-7 in the circle with a 3.62 ERA and 55 strikeouts in 65.2 innings of work.
- All-time, Canisius is 0-3 against Fullerton, which includes a meeting in the 2007 NCAA Regionals played in Columbus, Ohio.
THE DEPAUL SCOUT
- DePaul enters the Titan Classic with an overall record of 14-4.
- The Demons are led by junior Mary Connolly, who is hitting .331 with 55 hits, 41 RBI and 10 homers.
- Canisius and DePaul have played three times, with DePaul holding a 3-0 record against the Griffs. The last meeting between these two schools came Feb. 28, 2010, at the Kickin' Chicken Classic in Conway, S.C.
THE TEXAS TECH SCOUT
- The Raiders are 18-6 this season. Texas Tech has won eight straight, dating back to Feb. 28.
- Senior pitcher Brittany Talley has allowed just eight earned runs in 52 innings of work this season.
- As a team, Texas Tech is hitting .319 and the Raiders have out scored their opponents by a 137-62 clip this year.
- This will be the first meeting between Canisius and Texas Tech in softball.
THE UNLV SCOUT
- UNLV is 8-14 this season. The team went 2-3 last weekend at the UCLA Invitational.
- Senior Pauline Monreal is hitting .367 with six homers and 23 RBI.
- This will be the second all-time game between Canisius and UNLV. The first contest came March 13, 2009, at the National Softball Invitational in San Jose, Calif.