Softball Gets Back to MAAC Action on the Road
Games 38 & 39
Canisius (11-26, 3-3 MAAC) at Saint Peter's (5-34, 1-5 MAAC)
Date: Friday, April 20, 2012
Time: Game One begins at 2 p.m.
Place: Jaroschak Field - Jersey City, N.J.
Games 40 & 41
Canisius at Manhattan (5-26, 0-4 MAAC)
Date: Saturday, April 21, 2012
Time: Game One begins at 12 p.m.
Place: Gaelic Park - Riverdale, N.Y.
- Canisius travels to Saint Peter's and Manhattan this weekend for the team's first MAAC road games of the season.
- The Golden Griffins split a non-conference doubleheader at St. Bonaventure on April 17, in Olean, N.Y., and start the weekend with an 11-26 overall mark and a 3-3 MAAC record.
- Canisius' schedule was once again changed because of weather - the Blue and Gold will now play at Saint Peter's on Friday at 2 p.m., instead of Sunday at 11 a.m., as previously scheduled. The change was made to help deal with the forecasted rain in the New York City area on Sunday.
GRIFF NEWS AND NOTES
- Canisius earned its first eight-run rule victory of the season April 17, at St. Bonaventure in the nightcap of the doubleheader when the Blue and Gold posted an 8-0 win over the Bonnies in six innings.
- In that win, sophomore pitcher Jen Consaul earned her sixth win of the year and the 14th victory of her career in the circle after she went the distance and gave up just four hits while striking out four.
- This season, teams are hitting .279 off Consaul, who starts this weekend as the team's leader with 23 appearances and eight complete-games.
- Senior Lizzy Gatto ranks first on the team and sixth in the MAAC with her .330 (35-for-106) batting average.
- Gatto is currently tied for second in the conference with her 14 stolen bases and she boasts a team-high .446 on-base percentage as well.
- Gatto's seven doubles this year ranks second on the team, behind freshman Robin Kennery, who has nine two-base hits in her rookie campaign. Gatto's 31 career doubles ties her for 10th all-time in program history.
- Kennery's 23 RBIs through her first 37 career games for the Blue and Gold are the most for a Canisius rookie since former Griff Jody Tassone had 39 runs batted in during her freshman year of 1993.
- Senior Lauren Falzone leads the Griffs with 32 runs scored this year, which is second-best in the conference. She starts this weekend with 77 career runs scored, which ranks 27th in school history.
- Senior Katie Lancellotti leads the team and is tied for the MAAC lead with her three triples this season.
- As a team, Canisius ranks fifth in the MAAC with its .244 team batting average and the Griffs lead the conference with 110 total walks.
CANISIUS vs. SAINT
- Canisius and Saint Peter's have played 51 previous times, with the Blue and Gold holding a 40-11 lead in the all-time series between the two Jesuit schools.
- Since 2006, Canisius has won 11-straight and 12 of the last 13 meetings against the Peahens. In that 13-game stretch, the Griffs have outscored Saint Peter's by a combined count of 95-12.
- The Griffs' last trip to Jersey City, N.J., came during the 2010 campaign, where Canisius won both games by scores of 9-1 in six innings and 14-0 in five frames.
- This will mark the 56th and 57th all-time meeting between Canisius and Manhattan, with the Golden Griffins leading the series by a 47-8 count.
- Last season, the Canisius split with the Jaspers when the two teams met in Buffalo.
- In their last five trips to Manhattan, the Griffs are 8-2 on the road against Manhattan, dating back to the 2002 campaign.