Games 42 & 43
Canisius (14-27, 6-4 MAAC) at Marist (24-19, 6-2 MAAC)
Date: Saturday, April 28, 2012
Time: Game One starts at 12 p.m.
Place: Softball Park at Gartland Field - Poughkeepsie, N.Y.
- The Canisius softball teams gets back to action Saturday afternoon when the Golden Griffins travel to Marist for a MAAC doubleheader.
- The Griffs head to Poughkeepsie, N.Y., with a 14-27 overall record and a 6-4 mark in league games. Canisius swept Saint Peter's and split with Manhattan last weekend on the road.
- The games at Marist on Saturday will be the eighth and ninth-straight road games for the Blue and Gold. Canisius will close out its 10-game road stretch May 2, at Niagara.
GRIFF NEWS AND NOTES
- Canisius starts this weekend having won four of its last five games overall and four of its last six MAAC games.
- Sophomore pitcher Jen Consaul was named the MAAC's Pitcher of the Week on Monday after she went 3-0 with a 0.70 ERA last week in wins at St. Bonaventure, Saint Peter's and Manhattan.
- Consaul leads the Canisius staff with eight wins in the circle and her complete-game shutout at Manhattan April 21, was her 10th shutout of the season.
- Freshman Michelle DelPrince was named the MAAC's Rookie of the Week on Monday after she hit .389 (7-for-18) with two home runs, four runs scored and eight RBIs in six games last week.
- DelPrince's first career home run was a grand slam, which came in the fourth inning of the team's 5-3 win over Saint Peter's April 20.
- Senior Katie Lancellotti had a two-run homer in the first game at Manhattan last weekend, her first home run of the season and the 16th in her career. She currently ranks second in school history with those 16 career long balls.
- Senior Lizzy Gatto ranks second on the team with 28 runs scored, and her 113 career runs ties her for sixth in school history in that category.
- Senior Lauren Falzone has a team-high 33 runs scored this season, which ranks second in the MAAC.
- Falzone ranks third in the league with her 44 hits this year, and she is tied for the MAAC lead with three triples.
- As a team, the Griffs are hitting .260 on the year and they start this weekend ranked 34th in the nation in steals per game (1.51) and 45th in triples per outing (0.22).
- The Red Foxes come into this weekend's action as winners of four straight and have posted wins in nine of their last 10 contests, dating back to April 12.
- Marist is led offensively by junior Alyssa Zahka, who is hitting .328 with 34 runs scored, 12 doubles, two home runs and 25 runs batted in this season.
- Senior Megan Lamoureux his hitting .327 with 20 runs scored, eight doubles, a triple and three homers. She is one of five Marist players hitting better than .310 for the year.
- Pitchers Janine Lalli and Emily Osterhaus each have eight wins in the circle for the Red Foxes, who have faced a total of five ranked teams this season.
- Lalli ranks second on the team with her 3.30 ERA, while Osterhaus ranks second on the staff with 58 strikeouts. Freshman Melanie White is 5-8 with a 2.92 ERA and 61 strikeouts.
CANISIUS vs. MARIST
- Canisius and Marist have played 34 times previously, with the Griffs holding a 24-10 all-time lead in the series.
- These two squads have split the four previous MAAC doubleheaders, with each team posting a win at the Demske Sports Complex last year on Canisius' Senior Day.
- The Griffs are 6-4 in their last 10 regular-season games against Marist on the road.