Canisius (6-16) vs. Buffalo (14-13)
Date: April 1, 2014
Time: Game One starts at 3 p.m.
Place: Demske Sports Complex – Buffalo, N.Y.
Live Stats: Available through GoGriffs.com
Twitter: @GoGriffs (athletic department) or @GriffsSoftball (softball)
Hashtags: #Griffs #MAACSoftball
SOFTBALL HOSTS BUFFALO IN HOME OPENER
- After playing 22-straight games away from Buffalo to start the season, the Canisius softball team opens the home portion of its 2014 schedule Tuesday when the Golden Griffins host cross-town rival Buffalo.
- The Griffs are 6-16 on the year. The team enters Tuesday's games having won two straight games back on March 22.
- Canisius was scheduled to open the MAAC portion of this year's slate on March 29 at Niagara, but poor field conditions and wintry weather moved that league doubleheader to April 21.
- This non-league doubleheader marks the start of a busy month at home for Canisius. The Griffs are scheduled to play all 18 of their home games in April.
- Canisius enters Tuesday's twinbill having won two straight. The Griffs defeated Dartmouth and Loyola Marymount back on March 22 to close out their Spring Break trip.
- Junior Robin Kennery leads Canisius with her .324 batting average. She also has a team-high 23 hits and 12 RBI this season.
- Sophomore Alexis Roman ranks second on the team with her .322 batting average. Roman has a team-high four doubles on the year.
- Freshman Jessica Berzins is one of three Canisius hitters with a batting average better than .300 this season. She is hitting .317 with three doubles, a triple and 11 runs scored.
- As a team, Canisius is 18-for-21 in stolen base chances, led by juion Michelle DelPrince. DelPrince is a perfect 5-for-5 in stolen base opportunities.
- Senior Jen Consaul leads the Blue and Gold in the circle this year. She is 5-9 with a 2.48 ERA and 34 strikeouts in 93.0 innings.
- Consaul has started 13 of the team's 22 games this season and she has posted 11 complete games.
PROTECT THIS HOUSE
- Canisius defeated St. Bonaventure last year in the first home game of the season to improve the team to 22-2 all-time in home openers at the Demske Sports Complex.
- Last season, Canisius went 7-4 at the Demske Sports Complex. The team closed out the home portion of its 2013 schedule with wins in three of its last four home dates.
- Dating back to the final home game of the 2009 season, Canisius is 33-17 (66.0 win percentage) at home.
THE BUFFALO SCOUT
- Buffalo is 14-13 on the season. The Bulls have not played since splitting a non-league doubleheader at Florida A&M March 21.
- Buffalo is hitting .265 as a team, led by senior Holly Luciano. Luciano is hitting .359 with 20 RBI and 13 runs scored this season.
- Junior Karly Nevez ranks second on the team with her .338 batting average. Buffalo has four players hitting better than .300 so far this year.
- Senior pitcher Tori Speckman is 10-7 with a 1.90 ERA in 19 appearances this year. She has struck out 116 batters in 110.2 innings of work.
- Canisius will open MAAC play on Saturday, April 5 when the team plays host to Fairfield.
- The Griffs are 35-30 all-time against the Stags, but Fairfield has won seven straight over the Griffs, going back to the 2011 regular-season series
- Canisius will also play host to Iona next weekend. The Griffs and the Gaels are scheduled to play April 6, with first pitch set for noon.