2012 MAAC Golf
Championship at a Glance
Dates: April 27-29, 2012
Course: The Magnolia Course - Lake Buena Vista, Fla.
Course Info: Par 72; 7,073 Yards
The Field: Canisius, Fairfield, Iona, Loyola (Md.), Manhattan, Niagara, Rider, Saint Peter's and Siena
Defending Team Champions: Loyola (Md.) (895 for 54 holes)
Defending Individual Champion: Don Denyse (Siena) - 217 for 54 holes
GOLF TEAM READY FOR 2012 MAAC CHAMPIONSHIP
- The Canisius College golf team travels south to Lake Buena Vista, Fla., this weekend to take part in the 2012 MAAC Golf Championships at the Disney-owned Magnolia Course.
- The Golden Griffins have placed fifth at each of the last three MAAC Championship events. The Blue and Gold's best finish as a team came in 1995 and 1997, when the Griffs took third in the field.
- The event will once again be played on the Magnolia Course, located on Walt Disney World resort property. The four-star course is protected by 97 bunkers, and will once again serve as the host site for the PGA Tour's Children's Miracle Network Hospitals Classic.
- For the first time, the MAAC will provide free live updates throught the weekend. Fans can follow along by clicking here.
SPIOTTA HITS A CAREER MILESTONE AT DETROIT
- Canisius junior Mike Spiotta posted a team-low score of 291 April 13-14 at the Detroit Titan Invitational to tie for 10th in the field.
- The 10th place finish for the Batavia, N.Y., native marks his 10th career top-20 placement and it was his second top-10 of the 2011-12 campaign.
- Spiotta led the entire field at the Detroit Titan Invitational with 41 pars. Fellow junior Michael Carrig tied for fourth on that same list with 36 pars through 54 holes.
A CLOSER LOOK AT THE CANISIUS NUMBERS
- Canisius senior Stephen Seeler will be taking part in his 31st collegiate tournament this weekend - the most for any Canisius golfer since Drew Creighton (2006-10) played in 34 tournaments as a Griff.
- This will be career tournament number 20 for junior Michael Carrig, who made his Griff debut at the 2009 MAAC Championship event. Fellow junior Mike Spiotta will be taking part in his 25th career event for Canisius.
- Junior Joe Vogl placed 24th in the 2011 MAAC Golf Championship, his first as a Griff. Freshman Pat Fahey will be making his first start at the conference's championship event this weekend.