NOTING THE GRIFFS
- The Canisius College volleyball team closes out its four-match homestand with a weekend series against Loyola and Rider.
- Canisius is 4-0 in the Koessler Athletic Center this season in Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference matches, the second time in program history the Griffs have started 4-0 at home in conference contests.
- The Golden Griffins are 6-2 in the MAAC for the second time in three seasons under eighth-year coach Cathy Hummel. Canisius was also 6-2 in 2006, en route to a 14-4 conference record and third-place finish in the regular-season standings.
- Freshman Janelle Davis was named the MAAC Rookie of the Week on Monday, for the third time this season. Davis is the first freshman in the conference to win the award three times in 2008.
- As a team, the Golden Griffins rank 38th in the country in aces per set (1.61).
- Junior Michelle Godfrey leads the MAAC in blocks per set (1.09).
- Senior Sarah Podlesh is third in the conference in digs per set (4.11).
- Freshman Layne Adams has at least five kills in nine of the last 11 matches, including a career-high 10 kills in the four-set win over Manhattan Oct. 11.
- Canisius has won three times this season when losing the first two sets of the match. Prior to 2008, the Griffs had won a match when it trailed 2-0 four times in the previous 19 seasons.
SCOUTING THE GREYHOUNDS
- Loyola enters the weekend having dropped its last six matches since a 3-2 victory over Canisius Sept. 28.
- The Greyhounds are led by Nina Camaioni, who is averaging 2.59 kills per set.
- Camaioni, a preseason All-MAAC selection, ranks second on the team in digs per set (3.61). Karlee Woodward is first on the team in blocks per set (1.07).
- In all matches in 2008, Loyola ranks 10th in the league in attack
percentage (.123), sixth in opponent attack percentage (.201) and third
in blocks per set (1.81).
SCOUTING THE BRONCS
- Rider has dropped its last four matches entering this weekend’s trip to Western New York. The last win for the Broncs came in a 3-1 victory over Niagara Sept. 28.
- Lacey Johnson is first on the team in kills per set (2.57) and attack percentage (.208). Johnson is also second on the team in digs per set (2.88). Amy Jeary leads the Broncs with 4.68 digs per set.
- Rider has five players with 16 or more service aces, led by 21 from Lindsay Brant.
- In conference matches, Rider is 10th in the league in attack percentage (.127), second in digs per set (17.61) and seventh in opponent attack percentage (.215).
HISTORY AGAINST THE WEEKEND’S OPPONENTS
- Canisius owns an 12-3 advantage in the all-time series with Rider and has won the last five matches against the Broncs.
- The Griffs have won the last nine sets from the Broncs and are 5-2 overall against Rider in the Koessler Athletic Center
- Loyola holds an 18-7 advantage in the series with Canisius and has won the last three matches betweeen the teams.
- Prior to this current Loyola streak, the Griffs won four straight over the Greyhounds.