Match 24: Canisius (9-14, 4-8 MAAC) at Manhattan (14-10, 7-4)
Saturday, Oct. 28, 2011 — 2 p.m.
Riverdale Country School — Riverdale, N.Y.
Match 25: Canisius at Saint Peter's (0-24, 0-11)
Sunday, Oct. 29, 2011 — 2 p.m.
Yanitelli Center — Jersey City, N.J.
NOTING THE GRIFFS
- After a five-match homestand, the Canisius College volleyball team plays four of its final six regular-season matches on the road, starting with this weekend’s trip to the New York City area to face Manhattan and Saint Peter’s.
- Manhattan defeated Canisius in five sets (23-25, 25-22, 25-15, 20-25, 17-15) on Oct. 2, in the Koessler Athletic Center.
- Canisius has won four of the last five meetings overall and also has won four of the last five between the teams at Manhattan.
- Saturday's match will be played at Riverdale Country School, due to a schedule conflict at the Draddy Gymnasium.
- Canisius defeated Saint Peter’s in three sets (25-14, 25-17, 25-9) in the KAC on Oct. 1.
- The Golden Griffins have won 13 of the last 16 meetings against Saint Peter’s, including five of the last six between the teams in the Yanitelli Center.
- Canisius has a team service reception percentage of 94.1 in conference play, including a 95.4 percentage in the last nine matches.
- Senior Danielle Brawn is fourth in the conference at 3.51 kills per set.
- Senior Janelle Davis is fifth in the conference in assists per set, with a career-high average of 9.21. Davis is also tied for sixth in service aces per set (0.38)
- Junior Allyson Severyn is fourth in the MAAC in digs per set (4.57).
- Senior Layne Adams is seventh in the conference in attack percentage (.265) while junior Samantha Good is ninth (.263).
- Canisius is one of three schools, along with Fairfield and Siena, to have 10-plus MAAC wins in at least four of the last five seasons.
- The Golden Griffins rank third in the MAAC with 58 conference wins since the start of the 2006 season.
- Adams and Joanna Burt will serve as the team’s captains for the 2011 season. Adams is a captain for the second consecutive season.
SCOUTING THE GRIFFS
- Senior Janelle Davis has posted an attack percentage of .400 or better in 14 matches this season. Davis has nine matches this year with 40 or more assists and also has six double-doubles on the season. She leads the team with 32 service aces, 13 more than any other Golden Griffin.
- Senior Danielle Brawn has recorded double-digit kills in 18 matches this season, including a streak of 11 straight that ended against Niagara on Oct. 19. Brawn’s 298 kills during her senior season are more than her first three seasons combined (195).
- Senior Layne Adams leads the team with a .265 attack percentage. Adams has 304 career blocks, which ranks eighth in program history, and is the MAAC’s active leader in the category.
- Junior Samantha Good is second on the team with a .263 attack percentage, hitting .300 or better in nine matches this season. Good is averaging 1.05 blocks per set during the last 10 matches.
- Junior Allyson Severyn leads the team at 4.57 digs per set, including a season-high 34 digs against Rider on Oct. 15. Severyn has 39 matches in her career with 20 or more digs and has a 97.2 service reception percentage in last 14 matches (386-for-397), including 89-for-90 in last five matches.
- Freshman Olivia Chrzanowski has started nine of the last 10 matches and has seven or more kills in nine of the last 11 matches. She has a service reception percentage of 96.0 in the last 11 matches.
- Sophomore Jessica Warner has made 12 starts on the season, including six of the last seven matches. Warner set a career high with eight blocks against Fairfield on Sunday, the most blocks by a Golden Griffin in a match this season. She has a 95.1 service reception percentage in last 10 appearances.
- Sophomore Emily Elek ranks third on the team at 2.19 kills per set. Elek has double-digit kills in eight matches and has recorded two double-doubles this year.
- Senior Joanna Burt is averaging 1.43 digs per set and has recorded at least 15 digs in three matches, including a career-high 16 digs against Manhattan on Oct. 2. Burt has a 94.7 service reception percentage in her last 19 appearances. As a senior, Burt has set career highs in sets played, digs and service reception percentage.
- Sophomore Roxanne Hernandez has started 10 matches this season and is third on the team with 0.51 blocks per set. Hernandez set career highs with 11 kills and a .474 attack percentage against Fairfield on Sunday.
- Sophomore Sydney Palka had a season-high 12 assists against St. Francis and a season-high 10 digs against Morgan State.
- Manhattan enters Saturday’s match against Canisius with a 14-10 overall record and 7-4 record in Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference. The Jaspers had a three-match winning streak snapped with a three-set loss against Army on Wednesday night.
- The Jaspers rank third in the MAAC in hitting percentage (.238), fifth in opponent hitting percentage (.194) and second in blocks per set (2.02).
- LaKell Havens is fourth in the MAAC in attack percentage (.290), sixth in service aces per set (0.38) and first in blocks per set (1.07). Freshman Malia McGuinness is fifth in the conference in attack percentage (3.48).
SAINT PETER’S SCOUT
- Saint Peter’s starts the weekend with an 0-24 record overall and 0-11 record in the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference.
- The Peahens rank 10th in conference games in most categories — hitting percentage (.088), opponent hitting percentage (.356), kills per set (7.41). Saint Peter’s is seventh in blocks per set (1.62).
- Saint Peter’s is led offensively by Paige Petersen (1.95 kills per set) and Laura Reinhart (1.94). Kassi Wirth leads the team with a .217 attack percentage. and a 0.88 blocks per set average.