Saturday, Feb. 23 - Noon (DH)
Sunday, Feb. 24 - Noon (DH)
Greenwood Field - Asheville, N.C.
The Canisius College baseball team heads to the state of North Carolina for the second consecutive weekend and is scheduled to play four games at UNC Asheville.
- Canisius opened the season by splitting its first four games of 2013 last weekend. The Griffs won their opening two games by sweeping a doubleheader from Albany, starting 2-0 for the fourth time in the last six seasons.
- Canisius and UNC Asheville are meeting for the first time in program history.
- Canisius is opening the season with its first 19 games away from the Demske Sports Complex. The Griffs' home opener is set for March 23, against Saint Peter's.
- Junior Garrett Cortright was named the MAAC Pitcher of the Week on Monday. The Hamburg, N.Y. native went seven innings, allowed two runs (one earned), walked one and struck out eight. Cortright won the award for the second time in his career.
- Sophomore Connor Panas led the Griffs with six hits on the opening weekend of the season. Dating back to his freshman year, Panas is hitting .444 in his last 21 starts.
- Sophomore Mike Krische has four stolen bases in the last four games and now has 14 steals in the last 18 games.
- The Canisius baseball team has won 177 games since the start of the 2008 season, the fourth-highest total in the Northeast.
- Canisius has qualified for the postseason in each of the last six seasons, winning the MAAC regular-season title in 2008 and 2010.
- Canisius has had eight players selected in the Major League Baseball Draft since 2008.
- The Golden Griffins have had three All-Americans as well as three freshman All-Americans in the past six seasons.
UNC ASHEVILLE SCOUT
- UNC Asheville opened the season by splitting two games on the first weekend of the season, falling 9-2 to Kentucky and then defeating Georgetown 7-4. The Bulldogs lost 10-9 to UNC Greensboro on Wednesday.
- Robert McIntosh leads the team in the early going with a .600 batting average, recording four RBI in the opening three games.
- Through three games, UNC Asheville is hitting .265, has a 4.76 ERA and a .931 fielding percentage.