Wednesday's game between Canisius and St. Bonaventure was postponed due to inclement weather. A makeup date has not been announced. Check GoGriffs.com in the future for the latest information on the game.
Games No. 24-26
Canisius College (16-7, 1-2 MAAC) at Iona College (3-20, 0-3 MAAC)
March 28-29, 2013
City Park - New Rochelle, N.Y.
NOTING THE GRIFFS
- Canisius heads to New Rochelle having won its last two games after dropping its first two games of conference play on Saturday. The Griffs are 12-3 in their last 15 games after a 4-4 start to the 2013 season.
- Canisius started its 2013 MAAC schedule by dropping two of three games to Saint Peter's. The Golden Griffins lost their opening MAAC series for the first time since 2009, when the Griffs finished conference play with a 16-8 record.
- Entering the week, Canisius ranks 20th nationally in batting average (.308), 19th in scoring (7.3), 21st in triples (10), 16th in stolen bases (47), 10th in hit by pitch (42) and 10th in on-base percentage (.416).
- Junior Jimmy Luppens leads the country in on-base percentage (.582) and ranks fifth nationally in batting average (.468) and 13th in slugging percentage (.774). Junior Jesse Kelso is 22nd at 1.19 runs per game.
- Junior Garrett Cortright is tied for ninth in the country with five victories.
- The Gaels snapped a 14-game losing streak with a 6-3 win at Sacred Heart on Wednesday afternoon. Iona was swept by Manhattan last weekend, losing two one-run games and one two-run contest.
- Matt Kriss is hitting .284 in 23 starts with eight runs scored and six RBI. Jimmy Guiliano leads the Gaels with nine RBI on the season. Christian Choman is hitting .395 in 43 at-bats.
- Eddie Macaluso is 0-4 with a 4.50 earned run average in six starts. Macaluso has 12 strikeouts and 13 walks in 32 innings.
- Iona is hitting .222 with a 6.68 earned run average and .961 fielding percentage.
- Iona owns a 23-20 lead in the all-time series. The Griffs took two of three between the teams at the Demske Sports Complex last weekend, dropping the opener 6-2 before rebounding with wins of 3-0 and 7-0.
- Canisius has won the last six series between the teams, with the Gaels last winning the three-game set in 2006.
- Canisius has won 15 of the last 17 meetings between the teams.
GRIFFS VS. IONA
- Senior Chris Gruarin has scored seven runs in five career games against the Gaels.
- Sophomore Mike Krische had seven hits in last year's series and stole three bases.
- Senior Billy Martin threw eight shutout innings in the series final last year and has a 2.12 ERA in 17 career innings.
- Sophomore Devon Stewart threw a seven-inning shutout in the middle game of last year's series, striking out five, allowing five hits and walking one.
- Junior Jose Torralba is hitting .398 in six career games against the Gaels.