Canisius (11-7) vs. Saint Peter’s (4-12)
Friday, March 21 – 1 p.m. (DH)
Saturday, March 22 – Noon
Demske Sports Complex (Buffalo, N.Y.)
RHP Rohn Pierce (3-1, 2.00 ERA) vs. RHP Zach Hopf (1-2, 5.04 ERA)
LHP Alex Godzak (2-2, 3.04 ERA) vs. RHP Frank Morris (0-3, 5.14 ERA)
RHP Devon Stewart (2-2, 6.26 ERA) vs. RHP Mark Wilson (1-2, 4.29 ERA)
- Canisius opens MAAC play with a three-game series against Saint Peter’s.
- The Golden Griffins and Peacocks are starting conference play against each other for the second consecutive season. Saint Peter’s won the first two games last season to take the series.
- Canisius leads the all-time series 30-19. The Griffs have won 16 of the last 20 meetings between the schools and 11 of the last 15 games in Buffalo.
- Canisius was picked to finish first in the preseason coaches poll. The Peacocks were picked to finish ninth in the 11-team Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference.
- Canisius finished third in the regular-season standings last season with a 15-9 record.
- Canisius has finished in the top four of the MAAC standings in each of the last seven seasons, the longest streak in the conference.
- The Griffs won the regular-season title in 1994, 2008 and 2010.
- The Golden Griffins won their first MAAC Championship in program history in 2013 and participated in the Chapel Hill Regional.
- The 2014 MAAC Championship will feature six teams in a double-elimination tournament and will take place at FirstEnergy Park in Lakewood, N.J., starting on Wednesday, May 21.
QUICK LOOK AT THE GRIFFS
- Canisius snapped a four-game losing streak with a 12-11, walk-off win over the University at Buffalo on Wednesday afternoon. Junior Connor Panas hit a two-run homer with one out in the bottom of the ninth inning.
- Canisius had a walk-off win at home for the 13th time since 2007.
- Entering the week, Canisius ranks 20th in the country in scoring at 7.4 runs per game. The Griffs are eighth nationally in triples (10) and 26th in hit by pitch (31).
- Canisius ranks 21st in the country with a .399 on-base percentage.
- Junior Jesse Puscheck leads the team with a .371 batting average, posting a team-best 14 walks and scoring 19 runs. Puscheck has reached base in 22 straight games.
- Senior Ronnie Bernick starts the weekend on a five-game hitting streak.
- Freshman Jake Lumley is hitting .571 (12-for-21) since March 9, including a 4-for-5 effort in Wednesday’s win over Buffalo.
- Panas has six hits with seven RBI since March 10.
SAINT PETER’S SCOUT
- Saint Peter’s comes to Western New York with a 4-12 overall record. The Peacocks have won their last two games to snap an eight-game losing streak, defeating Seton Hall and Temple.
- Jon Kristoffersen leads the team with a .338 batting average, scoring a team-best 11 runs.
- Chris Hugg paces the team with 12 RBI, including three RBI in Wednesday’s win over the Pirates.
- Game one starter Zach Hopf has thrown a team-high 25 innings in four starts, striking out 20 batters and walking nine.
- The Peacocks are hitting .267 as a team and scoring 3.9 runs per game. Saint Peter’s has a team ERA of 7.33 to go along with a .967 fielding percentage.
LUPPENS NAMED PRESEASON POY, GRIFFS PICKED FIRST
- Senior Jimmy Luppens was unanimously voted by the MAAC coaches as the Preseason Player of the Year.
- Luppens earned All-MAAC First-Team honors after the 2013 season, while also being named to the ABCA All-Northeast Region First Team.
- Canisius was picked to finish first by the league’s coaches with 117 of a possible 121 points in the 11-team MAAC. The Golden Griffins has been picked to finish in the top three of the MAAC standings in seven consecutive seasons.
NEW MAAC TOURNAMENT FORMAT AND LOCATION
- The 2014 Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference championship will feature a new format and a new location on Memorial Day weekend.
- The top six teams in the MAAC will advance to the double-elimination tournament, which starts on Wednesday, May 21. Teams in third through sixth place will have to play in the first round, with the winners of those two games advancing to face the top two teams in the regular-season standings.
- The tournament will take place at FirstEnergy Park in Lakewood, N.J. The venue is the home of the Lakewood BlueClaws, the Single A affiliate of the Philadelphia Phillies.