Game No. 22
Canisius (14-7) vs. Buffalo (10-7)
Tuesday, March 25 - 3:30 p.m.
Demske Sports Complex
NOTING THE GRIFFS
- Canisius and Buffalo are meeting for the second consecutive week and in the second of four scheduled meetings between the teams.
- The Golden Griffins are in the middle of an eight-game homestand, one of two eight-game homestands this season.
- Canisius enters Tuesday's game on a four-game winning streak and comes off a sweep of Saint Peter's University to open its Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference schedule last weekend.
- Canisius starts MAAC play 3-0 for the third time in the last five years.
- In the series, Canisius had the leadoff batter reach base in 16 of 22 innings.
- The Griffs are hitting .312 on the season, which ranks 11th in the country. Seven Golden Griffins are hitting better than .338 on the year.
- Canisius is seventh in the country in scoring at 8.0 runs per game and in on-base percentage (.418). The Griffs have scored at least nine runs in 12 games this season.
- Canisius is fifth in the country with 12 triples with nine different players recording at least one triple on the season.
- Last week, senior Jesse Kelso was named one of 30 candidates for the Senior CLASS Award. The award is n acronym for Celebrating Loyalty and Achievement for Staying in School, the Senior CLASS Award honors the attributes of senior student-athletes in four areas: community, classroom, character and competition.
LOOK BACK AT LAST WEEK'S MEETING
- The Golden Griffins defeated Buffalo 12-11 at the Demske Sports Complex last week. Canisius won on a two-run, one-out, walk-off home run from junior Connor Panas.
- Canisius went up 3-0 but the Bulls scored the next eight runs in the game to take an 8-3 lead. The Griffs rallied to score the next seven runs and go up 10-8.
- Buffalo scored three runs in the top of the ninth to re-claim the lead at 11-10, setting the stage for the home run from Panas.
- Freshman Jake Lumley went 4-for-5 with three runs scored and two RBI while senior Ronnie Bernick was 3-for-4 with two runs scored and two RBI.
- Canisius has won 13 of the last 17 meetings with Buffalo, including three walk-off wins in the last four seasons.
SCOUTING THE BULLS
- Buffalo enters Tuesday's game with a 10-7 record. The Bulls opened its Mid-American Conference schedule by taking two of three games at Northern Illinois last weekend.
- The Bulls are hitting .250 as a team and holding their opponents to a .212 batting average. Buffalo has a team ERA of 3.31 and team fielding percentage of .960.
- Mike Burke leads the Buffalo offense with a .375 batting average while Tyler Mautner is hitting .368 with a team-high 16 RBI.