Canisius (19-11, 7-2 MAAC) vs. Siena (7-23, 5-1 MAAC)
Demske Sports Complex
Free Audio Broadcast: GoGriffs.com
Hashtags: #Griffs #MAACBaseball
LHP Alex Godzak (4-3, 3.22 ERA) vs. LHP Matt Gage (2-4, 4.75 ERA)
RHP Rohn Pierce (6-1, 2.04 ERA) vs. RHP Ed Lewicki (1-5, 7.04 ERA)
RHP Devon Stewart (3-3, 4.84 ERA) vs. RHP Bryan Goosens (1-4, 7.21 ERA)
- Canisius continues its eight-game homestand with a three-game series against Siena College at the Demske Sports Complex this weekend.
- The series pits the top two teams in the early-season MAAC standings. Canisius enters the weekend with a 7-2 conference record while Siena enters the weekend with a 5-1 MAAC record.
- The teams met in the title game of the 2013 MAAC Championship. Canisius won 12-11 to claim the program’s first conference title.
- Canisius has won six weekly awards from the conference office this season, the most in the MAAC.
- At the start of the week, Canisius had six players (averaging at least 2.5 plate appearances per game) hitting above .305 while the rest of the MAAC combined had 10 players.
- Since the start of the 2008 season Canisius has 236 wins, which is the second-highest total in the Northeast as the Griffs only trail Connecticut (237).
- Canisius is the only team in the Northeast to have 33 or more wins in five of the last six seasons.
NOTING THE GRIFFS
- Junior Rohn Pierce is one of seven pitchers in the country with at least six victories, an ERA under 2.50 and at least 60 innings pitched.
- Junior Mike Krische enters the weekend with 38 stolen bases in his career, tied for the most by a Golden Griffin through his junior season.
- The Canisius starting pitchers have a 2.79 ERA through the opening nine conference games.
- Sophomore Anthony Massicci is 26th in the country with a .492 on-base percentage while Jimmy Luppens is 27th in the category at .491.
- Entering the weekend, Canisius ranks ranks eighth in batting average (.311), 14th in scoring (7.3 runs per game), fifth in triples (16), 15th in slugging percentage (.430), sixth in on-base percentage (.415).
SERIES HISTORY VS. SIENA
- Siena holds a 70-44 lead in the all-time series. The Saints are the second-most common opponent in program history.
- During the last five years, Canisius holds an 11-6 lead in the all-time series
- Canisius took two of three games between the teams in the series between the teams in May. Canisius took the opener 17-1 and the second game 1-0 before dropping the third game 4-0.
- The teams played in the title game of the 2013 MAAC Championship. Canisius jumped out to a 10-3 lead after six innings before the Saints rallied with six runs in the ninth. Siena tied the game in the ninth setting the stage for the Griffs to win on a hit by pitch to Jose Torralba with the bases loaded.
SCOUTING THE SAINTS
- Siena comes to Western New York with a 7-23 overall record and 5-1 record in the MAAC. The Saints snapped a five-game losing streak by sweeping a doubleheader from NYIT on Wednesday.
- Siena swept Niagara on the first weekend of MAAC play and then took two of three games from Marist the next weekend.
- Vincent Citro leads the team with a .331 batting average and 20 runs scored.
- Game one starter Matt Gage earned All-MAAC First-Team honors last season and played in the Cape Cod league last summer. Gage is 2-4 with a 4.75 ERA.
- Siena is hitting .248 as a team and scoring 4.3 runs per game. The Saints have a team ERA of 7.07 and a .962 fielding percentage.
- The Saints played a difficult non-conference schedule, including Central Florida, Ohio State, Michigan State and Radford.