Canisius (25-14, 8-4 MAAC) at Marist (12-25, 5-7 MAAC)
McCann Field (Poughkeepsie, N.Y.)
LHP Alex Godzak (5-3, 2.97 ERA) vs. LHP Jordan Eich (2-4, 3.83 ERA)
RHP Rohn Pierce (7-2, 2.50 ERA) vs. RHP Scott Boches (3-2, 4.94 ERA)
RHP Devon Stewart (3-5, 5.28 ERA) vs. LHP Rich Vrana (1-6, 5.18 ERA)
- Canisius begins the second half of its Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference schedule with a three-game series at Marist College this weekend.
- The Golden Griffins will play on the road for the next three conference weekends.
- Canisius has won five of its last six games after a 7-6 win over Youngstown State on Wednesday. The Griffs rallied from a 6-0 deficit for its sixth win of the season in their final at-bat and second of the walk-off variety.
- Canisius enters the weekend with an 8-4 record in conference play, sitting in fourth place in the MAAC standings. The top six teams will qualify for the 2014 MAAC Championships, to be held May 21-25, in Lakewood, N.J.
- Canisius is 3-2 against teams in the top 100 of the RPI. The other 10 teams in the MAAC have one win against the top 100 and are a combined 1-44.
- Canisius has won six weekly awards from the conference office this season, the most in the MAAC.
- Since the start of the 2008 season Canisius has 243 wins, which is the second-highest total in the Northeast as the Griffs only trail Connecticut (244).
- Canisius is the only team in the Northeast to have 33 or more wins in five of the last six seasons.
NOTING THE GRIFFS
- At the start of the week, junior Rohn Pierce was one of seven pitchers in the country with at least seven victories, at least 75 innings pitched and an ERA of 2.50 or better.
- At the start of the weekend, Canisius has seven players (averaging at least 2.5 plate appearances per game) hitting above .310 while the rest of the MAAC combined has 15 players.
- Junior Mike Krische enters the weekend with 40 stolen bases in his career. Krische is the first Golden Griffin to reach 40 stolen bases before the end of his junior season.
- The weekend starting pitchers for Canisius - Pierce, sophomore Alex Godzak and junior Devon Stewart - have gone at least six innings in 25 of their 29 starts this season.
- Entering the weekend, sophomore Anthony Massicci ranks ninth in the country in on-base percentage (.500) while senior Jimmy Luppens ranks 22nd (.488) and freshman Christ Conley ranks 28th (.481).
- Canisius is the only team in the country with three players in the top 30 in on-base percentage.
- Entering the weekend, Canisius ranks ranks 12th in batting average (.306), 17th in scoring (6.9 runs per game), sixth in triples (19), 16th in slugging percentage (.418), 29th in walks (182) and fifth in on-base percentage (.414).
- Twelve Golden Griffins have accounted for the 19 triples, giving Canisius more players than any other team in the country with at least one triple on the season. Four other teams have 10 players.
CANISIUS-MARIST SERIES HISTORY
- Marist holds a 37-19 lead in the all-time series with the Griffs. Canisus won three of the four meetings between the teams last season, including a 2-1 win in the first round of the 2013 MAAC Championship.
- The Griffs have won the last two regular-season series, but the Red Foxes won the previous three series. Canisius took two of three from Marist in Poughkeepsie in 2012.
SCOUTING THE RED FOXES
- Marist enters the weekend with a 12-25 overall record and 5-7 record in the MAAC. The Red Foxes saw their four-game winning streak snapped with mid-week losses to UMass Lowell and Army this week.
- Marist is hitting .239 as a team, led by Steve Laurino, who is hitting .313 with a team-best 21 RBI.
- The Red Foxes have a team ERA of 5.16 with Jordan Eich posting a 2-4 record with a 3.83 ERA in 54 innings pitched. Opposing teams are batting .288 off Marist.
- Eight of Marist’s 12 wins this year have come when the Red Foxes score six or more runs. Marist is 10-4 when scoring first and 2-12 when its opponent scores first.