Canisius (2-1) at Charlotte (0-1)
Robert & Mariam Hayes Stadium
Friday, Feb. 21 — 4 p.m.
LHP Alex Godzak (0-0, 0.00 ERA) vs. RHP Ryan Butler (First Appearance)
Saturday, Feb. 22 — 1 p.m.
RHP Rohn Pierce (1-0, 0.00 ERA) vs. RHP Corey Roberts (0-0, 0.00 ERA)
Sunday, Feb. 23 — 1 p.m.
RHP Devon Stewart (0-1, 30.86 ERA) vs. RHP Brock Hudgens (0-0, 0.00 ERA)
- Canisius returns to the state of North Carolina for the second consecutive weekend and faces the Charlotte 49ers in a three-game series at Robert & Mariam Hayes Stadium on Friday through Sunday.
- Canisius opened the season with a 3-0 win over No. 5 NC State on Sunday, defeating a ranked team for the first time in program history.
- Canisius then split a two-team, two-city doubleheader on Monday. The Golden Griffins lost to the Wolfpack and then traveled to Durham, N.C. and defeated NC Central 15-7. The Griffs overcame a 5-1 deficit and scored 14 straight runs to win the nightcap.
- Canisius was originally scheduled to play four neutral-site games at the USA Baseball Complex in Cary, N.C. but the inclement weather in the Southeast cancelled all of those games. The Griffs were able to schedule games with NC State due to the Wolfpack being unable to fly to the West Coast for a three-game series at UC Santa Barbara.
- Canisius received votes in this week’s edition of the NCBWA Top 25 poll.
- Canisius and Charlotte are meeting in a three-game series for the second time in program history.
- The 49ers swept a three-game series from the Griffs on the opening weekend of the 2006 campaign.
- The teams were scheduled to play a three-game series in 2009, but inclement weather cancelled the entire series.
FIRST WIN OVER RANKED TEAM IN PROGRAM HISTORY
- Canisius opened the season with an impressive victory over No. 5 North Carolina State on Sunday. The Golden Griffins defeated a ranked team for the first time in program history.
- Canisius ended the 2013 season at the Chapel Hill Regional in the NCAA Tournament. The Griffs opened the tournament against No. 1 seed North Carolina. The Griffs trailed 4-3 in the eighth inning with the bases loaded and one out but couldn’t capitalize, losing 6-3 to the Tar Heels.
- The Griffs would lose to No. 23 Florida Atlantic in an elimination game the next day.
PIERCE NAMED NATIONAL PLAYER OF THE WEEK
- Junior Rohn Pierce was one of eight players honored by Collegiate Baseball as a Louisville Slugger National Player of the Week on Monday.
- Pierce outdueled All-American Carlos Rodon as the Lockport, N.Y. native threw seven shutout innings in the 3-0 win over No. 5 NC State.
- The 6-foot-3 righthander scattered five singles, walked one and struck out six on 101 pitches. PIerce allowed the first two batters to reach but then retired 21 of the next 25 batters he faced.
- Pierce also earned MAAC Pitcher of the Week honors on Tuesday.
- Pierce is the third Golden Griffin to win the award in the last four seasons. Sophomore Alex Godzak earned the honor last season while Sean Jamieson was honored in 2011.