Date: May 15-16, 2010
Location: Poughkeepsie, N.Y. (McCann Field)
Game 1: LHP Mike Goemans (5-3, 4.36 ERA) vs. RHP Kyle Putnam (4-4, 5.47 ERA)
Game 2: LHP Shane Davis (7-3, 4.67 ERA) vs. RHP B.J. Martin (6-3, 6.18 ERA)
Game 3: RHP Chris Cox (4-2, 5.43 ERA) vs. LHP Chad Gallagher (4-2, 4.70 ERA)
- Canisius begins its final stretch of the regular season — six consecutive road games — starting with this weekend’s three-game series at second-place Marist.
- The Golden Griffins hold a five-game lead in the MAAC standings over the Red Foxes.
- One win by the Golden Griffins in this weekend’s three-game series will give Canisius its second MAAC regular-season title in the last three years and third in program history.
- Last weekend, Canisius clinched its fourth-consecutive berth in the MAAC Championship.
- Canisius and Marist met three times in the MAAC Championship last season. The Red Foxes won the opening game between the teams (7-6), the Griffs forced a championship game with a 5-4 win but the Red Foxes won the MAAC title with a 13-9 win.
- Canisius enters the weekend on a six-game winning streak, matching the longest winning streak of the season. The Golden Griffins have a winning streak of six games or more for the seventh time in the last three seasons.
- Since the start of the 2008 season, Canisius has 108 wins — six more than any other team in the Northeast region (St. John’s has 102) and 17 more than any other team in the MAAC (Manhattan has 91).
- Canisius has won 30 games in three straight seasons — the only three seasons in program history with 30 wins.
- Canisius (34-16) is one of four teams in the Northeast region with at least 33 victories — Connecticut (39-10), Pittsburgh (34-12) and St. John’s (33-14).
- Canisius is one of four teams in the country with a winning percentage of .889 or better in conference play.
- Three Golden Griffins were selected to the ESPN The Magazine Academic All-District I First Team — senior Ian Choy, junior Josh Marshall and senior Perry Silverman. All three are now eligible to be named Academic All-Americans. Canisius is one of two schools in the country, along with Western Kentucky, to have three First-Team All-District selections.
- At the start of the week, junior Steve McQuail ranked third in the country and currently has 71 RBI on the season, setting the Canisius and MAAC single-season records.
- At the start of the week, Silverman ranked fifth in the country in runs scored and currently has 67 runs scored on the season. Silverman has tied the program’s single-season record and is seven runs away from setting the MAAC record.
- Senior Mike Goemans has been named a Louisville Slugger National Player of the Week by Collegiate Baseball Magazine, CollegeBaseballInsider.com’s Northeast Region Pitcher of the Week and the MAAC Pitcher of the week after firing a one-hit, complete-game shutout of Manhattan last weekend.
- McQuail was named MAAC Player of the Week on Monday, becoming the first player to win the award twice this season.
- In MAAC games, Canisius is hitting .377, 48 points better than any other team. The Griffs rank third in ERA (5.07) and are first in fielding (.974).
- During the past three seasons, Canisius has a record of 22-3 in May regular-season games.
- Canisius is 19-3 in MAAC series during the past three seasons.
- Marist, the defending MAAC champions, enters the weekend series with an 8-8 record in its last 16 games after dropping two of three at Rider last weekend.
- The Red Foxes have won four of six conference series this season, but have lost the last two after winning the first four.
- Ryan Gauck leads the team with a .361 batting average, one of seven Red Foxes with a batting average above .300. The Red Foxes have 20 home runs on the season, including five in MAAC play and have 26 percent of their hits have gone for extra bases (compared to 42 percent for Canisius).
- Chad Gallagher has the best ERA among the starting pitchers at 4.70 while B.J. Martin is 6-3 in 11 starts. Sean McKeown is 3-1 with six saves and a 3.44 ERA in 23 appearances.
- Marist holds a 33-9 advantage in the all-time series between the teams.
- Canisius swept the Red Foxes in the last series between the teams in Poughkeepsie in 2008. The Red Foxes took two of three between the teams in their meeting at the Demske Sports Complex last season.
- Marist also took two of three between the teams at the 2009 MAAC Championship, en route to advancing to the NCAA Tournament. Canisius also was eliminated by the Red Foxes at the 2007 MAAC Championship.