Canisius College (7-4) at Longwood (5-5)
Friday, March 8 - 3 p.m.
Saturday, March 9 - 1 p.m. (DH)
Sunday, March 10 - 1 p.m.
- Canisius takes a three-game winning streak to Longwood University, facing the Lancers in a four-game series this weekend in Farmville, Va.
- Canisius and Longwood have met one other time, with the Golden Griffins winning.
- Canisius is opening the season with its first 19 games away from the Demske Sports Complex. The Griffs' home opener is set for March 23, against Saint Peter's.
- Junior Garrett Cortright leads the pitching staff with three victories, an 0.87 earned run average and 18 strikeouts in 20 innings. Cortright earned MAAC Pitcher of the Week honors after the first weekend of the season and is tied for fourth in the country with his three victories.
- Junior Jimmy Luppens leads the offense with a .455 batting average. He is tied for 12th nationally with six hit by pitch.
- Junior Jesse Kelso has a team-best 14 hits and 11 runs scored while senior Brooklyn Foster paces the Griffs with 11 RBI.
- Canisius has 21 steals in 24 attempts through 11 games. The Griffs rank 25th nationally in stolen bases.
- Canisius hit .361 in the three-game sweep of Murray State last weekend, including .442 with runners in scoring position.
- On the season, Canisius has seen the leadoff batter reach in 48.4 percent of the innings.
- The Canisius baseball team has won 182 games since the start of the 2008 season, the fourth-highest total in the Northeast.
- Canisius has qualified for the postseason in each of the last six seasons, winning the MAAC regular-season title in 2008 and 2010.
- Canisius has had eight players selected in the Major League Baseball Draft since 2008.
- The Golden Griffins have had three All-Americans as well as three freshman All-Americans in the past six seasons.
- Longwood enters the weekend with a 5-5 record after defeating Towson 3-2 on Tuesday. The Lancers dropped two of three to the University at Buffalo last weekend.
- Alex Owens leads the Longwood offense with a .414 batting average in 10 starts. Owens also has a team-best 10 RBI as Longwood is hitting .294 as a team.
- The Lancers have a team ERA of 4.55. Blake Ream is 2-0 in three appearances (two starts) with a 3.46 ERA in 13 innings while Kyler Morgan is 1-1 in three starts, with a 3.52 ERA in 15.1 innings.
- Through 10 games, Longwood is hitting .294, averages 4.7 runs per game, has a 4.55 ERA and a .972 fielding percentage.