Canisius (15-7, 3-0 MAAC) vs. Manhattan (3-15, 1-2 MAAC)
Saturday, March 29 - 11 a.m. (DH)
Sunday, March 30 - Noon
Demske Sports Complex
RHP Rohn Pierce (4-1, 2.25 ERA) vs. RHP Joey Rocchietti (1-3, 3.48 ERA)
LHP Alex Godzak (3-2, 3.69 ERA) vs. LHP Joe Jacques (0-2, 3.74 ERA)
RHP Devon Stewart (2-2, 5.24 ERA) vs. LHP Michael Martin (1-2, 1.67 ERA)
- Canisius wraps up its eight-game homestand with a three-game series against Manhattan College at the Demske Sports Complex this weekend.
- The Golden Griffins enter the weekend on a five-game winning streak, its second winning streak of at least five games this season.
- Canisius has opened the 2014 season by winning its first five home games for the first time since 1994 when the Golden Griffins won their first 14 games of the season at the Demske Sports Complex.
- The Griffs have started MAAC play 3-0 for the first time since 2010.
- Canisius rallied from a 10-0 deficit to defeat Buffalo 12-11 on Tuesday. The 10-run deficit was the biggest overcome by the Griffs in the last 25 seasons.
- Junior Connor Panas was named the MAAC Player of the Week on Tuesday, for the first time in his career. Canisius has won five weekly awards from the conference office this season, the most in the MAAC.
- At the start of the week, Canisius had seven players (averaging at least 2.5 plate appearances per game) hitting .335 or better while the rest of the MAAC combined had seven players.
- Canisius defeated No. 5 NC State 3-0 in the season opener. The win was the first in program history over a ranked team.
- Since the start of the 2008 season Canisius has 232 wins, which is second most in the Northeast as the Griffs trail Connecticut (233).
- Canisius is the only team in the Northeast to have 33 or more wins in five of the last six seasons.
SERIES HISTORY VS. MANHATTAN
- Manhattan owns a 35-23 lead in the all-time series with Canisius.
- During the last six years, Canisius owns a 14-10 lead in the series.
- Canisius swept the three-game series with Manhattan last season at Van Cortlandt Park for the first time in program history. Canisius was the first MAAC school to sweep a three-game series in Riverdale since Le Moyne in 2007.
- The Jaspers won the three-game series between the teams in Buffalo in 2012, taking the first two games.
- The teams have met in the postseason seven times since 2008.
SCOUTING THE JASPERS
- Manhattan comes to Western New York with a 3-15 overall record and 1-2 record in the conference play. The Jaspers won the final game in last weekend’s series with Quinnipiac.
- Senior Michael Martin was named the MAAC Pitcher of the Week last week after throwing a complete-game shutout of Quinnipiac. Martin allowed three hits and walked two in nine innings on Sunday.
- Christian Santisteban leads the team with a .339 batting average. Manhattan is hitting .223 as a team and is averaging 2.8 runs per game.
- The Jaspers have a team ERA of 4.68 with Martin leading the way with a 1.67 ERA in 27 innings.
ENJOYING THE HOME COOKING
- Canisius has started the 2014 home schedule by winning its first five games at the Demske Sports Complex.
- Canisius opened its home schedule 5-0 for the first time since 1994 when Canisius starts its home schedule with a 14-0 record.
- Canisius is averaging 10.6 runs per game at home this season, hitting .377 as a team with a .984 fielding percentage.
- The Griffs also won their final home game of the 2013 season, with the six-game winning streak standing as the longest since an eight-game winning streak last season (March 24-April 27, 2013).