Canisius (18-7) at Akron (12-12)
Wednesday, April 2
Canal Park (Akron, Ohio)
RHP Zachary Trumpler (0-0, 4.82 ERA) vs. RHP Michael Steensen (0-3, 8.10 ERA)
- Canisius faces the University of Akron on Wednesday, in the first game of a home-and-home non-conference series with the Zips during the next two weeks.
- Wednesday's game will be played at Canal Park — the home stadium for the Akron Rubberducks, the double-A afilliate of the Cleveland Indians.
- Canisius won each of the meetings between the teams last season and also won in 2012, when the teams played at Canal Park.
- The Golden Griffins are on an eight-game winning streak for the second time this season. At the start of the week, the eight-game winning streak is the second-longest active streak in the country, only trailing the 10-game streak for Washington.
- On Tuesday, Canisius was named the Northeast Region Team of the Week by College Baseball Insider.
- Through 25 games, Canisius is 18-7 for the second consecutive season.
- Canisius starts the week with 10 road wins, tied for the third-most in the country. The Griffs trail Seton Hall (12) and Southeast Missouri State (11).
- Sophomore Alex Godzak was named the MAAC Pitcher of the Week on Tuesday. The 2013 MAAC Rookie of the Year, Godzak threw his first career shutout on Saturday.
- Godzak gives Canisius six weekly awardwinners from the MAAC this season, two more than any other team in the league.
SCOUTING THE GRIFFS
- At the start of the week, Canisius ranks fifth in the country in batting average (.316), sixth in runs per game (8.0), sixth in triples (13), 16th in slugging percentage (.436) and third in on-base percentage (.426).
- Sophomore Anthony Massicci has reached base in 15 of the last 18 games and ranks in the top 20 nationally in on-base percentage.
- Canisius has scored 10 or more runs in 11 games and had 10 or more hits in 18 games.
- Eight Golden Griffins are hitting better than .320 on the season. The rest of the MAAC combined has seven players.
- Senior Jimmy Luppens leads the MAAC in batting average (.391) and RBI (26).
- Junior Connor Panas leads the MAAC in slugging percentage (.589).
- Massicci leads the MAAC in on-base percentage (.522) and walks (22).
- Massicci, senior Ryan Coppinger and junior Jesse Puscheck each lead the MAAC with 22 runs scored.
- Sophomore Brett Siddall is tied for the MAAC lead with three home runs.
- Junior Rohn Pierce is second in the MAAC in ERA (2.21) and first in innings pitched (53.0) and victories (five).
- Akron enters Wednesday's game with a 12-12 record after a 5-2 loss at Marshall on Tuesday.
- Probable starter Michael Steensen is pitching for the first time since March 15, at Cincinnati when Steensen allowed one run in four innings at Cincinnati.
- Akron is hitting .288 on the season and averaging 5.6 runs per game. The Zips have a team ERA of 4.36 and team fielding percentage of .961.
- Devan Ahart ranks 12th in the country with 12 stolen bases. Ahart leads the team with a .371 batting average.