Canisius (18-8, 6-0 MAAC) at Fairfield (10-11, 4-1 MAAC)
Saturday, April 5 and Sunday, April 6
Alumni Diamond (Fairfield, Conn.)
RHP Rohn Pierce (5-1, 2.21 ERA) vs. RHP EJ Ashworth (2-2, 4.40 ERA)
LHP Alex Godzak (4-2, 3.03 ERA) vs. RHP Aaron Howell (1-3, 3.33 ERA)
RHP Devon Stewart (3-2, 5.27 ERA) vs. RHP Mike Wallace (2-3, 5.24 ERA)
- Canisius plays its first road series of the 2014 MAAC schedule at Fairfield University this weekend.
- The Golden Griffins saw their eight-game winning streak come to an end in a 2-1 loss in 10 innings against the University of Akron on Wednesday.
- The Griffs have swept their first two MAAC series and started MAAC play 6-0 for the first time since 2010.
- Sophomore Alex Godzak was named the MAAC Picther of the Week on Tuesday, for the first time in his career. Canisius has won six weekly awards from the conference office this season, the most in the MAAC.
- On Tuesday, Canisius was named the College Baseball Insider Northeast Region Team of the Week for last week.
- Canisius has 10 road wins on the season. At the start of the week, that total tied for the third-most in the country.
- At the start of the week, Canisius had eight players (averaging at least 2.5 plate appearances per game) hitting above .320 while the rest of the MAAC combined had seven players.
- Since the start of the 2008 season Canisius has 235 wins, which is tied with Connecticut for the most in the Northeast.
- Canisius is the only team in the Northeast to have 33 or more wins in five of the last six seasons.
SERIES HISTORY VS. FAIRFIELD
- Fairfield holds a 26-23 lead in the all-time series, with the teams splitting the 44 meetings in MAAC play.
- During the last seven years, Canisius owns a 15-7 lead in the series.
- Fairfield has won the series each of the past two seasons. The Stags took the first two games in Buffalo in 2012 and the last two games in 2011. Canisius last won a series from the Stags in 2011 and last winning a series in Connecticut in 2010.
- The teams met in the first round of the 2012 MAAC Championship, with Canisius winning 2-1 on a walk-off single from Jose Torralba.
SCOUTING THE STAGS
- Fairfield enters the weekend as the hottest team in the MAAC, having won its last four games. The Stags are 4-1 in conference play, taking two of three from Iona on the opening weekend and winning both games in a weather-shortened series against Saint Peter’s last week.
- Fairfield is hitting .258 as a team and is averaging 4.9 runs per game. The Stags have a team ERA of 4.71 and team fielding percentage of .966.
- Jake Salpietro leads the team with a .382 batting average and 19 RBI, including seven RBI against NYIT on Tuesday.
- Alex Witkus is 11-for-11 on stolen bases.
- Preseason All-MAAC selection Ryan Plourde is seventh in program history with 181 hits.