Canisius College (14-5, 0-0 MAAC) vs. Saint Peter's (5-10, 0-0 MAAC)
Demske Sports Complex
Game 1: RHP Garrett Cortright (5-0, 0.97 ERA) vs. RHP Zachary Hopf (0-3, 3.96 ERA)
Game 2: RHP Devon Stewart (1-2, 5.20 ERA) vs. RHP Matthew Yuhas (2-1, 3.91 ERA)
Game 3: LHP Alex Godzak (2-1, 2.66 ERA) vs. TBA
- Winners in 10 of its last 11 games, the Canisius baseball team opens Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference play this weekend with a three-game series against Saint Peter’s University at the Demske Sports Complex.
- Canisius played its first 19 games of the season away from home, with its 12 road wins standing as the most in the country.
- The 14 wins for the Golden Griffins are the most of any team in the Northeast region.
- Canisius was named the Northeast Region Louisville Slugger Team of the Week by College Baseball Insider on Tuesday.
- Canisius is one of 48 teams in the country with 14 or more wins.
- Canisius has won 189 games since the start of the 2008 season, the fourth-highest total in the Northeast.
- Canisius has qualified for the MAAC Championship in each of the last six seasons, winning the MAAC regular-season title in 2008 and 2010.
- Canisius has had eight players selected in the Major League Baseball Draft since 2008.
- The Golden Griffins have had three All-Americans in the last five seasons.
- Canisius has had three freshman All-Americans since 2007, including sophomore Devon Stewart following the 2012 campaign.
- Coach Mike McRae won his 300th game on March 16. McRae has 301 wins in his career, trailing only Don Colpoys (325 wins) in the Canisius record books.
SERIES HISTORY AGAINST SAINT PETER’S
- Canisius leads the all-time series 29-17 with Saint Peter’s. The Griffs won the series in Jersey City, N.J. last season, sweeping Saturday’s doubleheader before losing on Sunday.
- The Griffs won both games between the teams at the Demske Sports Complex in 2011, with the third game being cancelled due to inclement weather.
- Canisius has won 15 of the last 17 meetings between the schools and is 10-2 in the last 12 games between the teams in Buffalo.
GRIFFS VS. SAINT PETER’S
- Junior Ryan Coppinger has a hit in all five career games against the Peacocks, going 8-for-15 with two homers, eight RBI, three walks and three steals.
- Junior Garrett Cortright went seven innings and struck out six in a win last season.
- Senior Brooklyn Foster had four hits in the series last year, scoring two runs and recording two RBI.
- Sophomore Devon Stewart threw a seven-inning complete game in a 10-1 win in the second game of last year’s series, allowing six hits and walking one.
- Junior Shane Zimmer is 6-for-16 with four RBI and two walks in five career games.
SAINT PETER’S SCOUT
- Saint Peter’s enters the weekend series with a 5-10 record after a 10-1 loss against Seton Hall on Wednesday afternoon.
- Senior Matt Speckmann leads the Saint Peter’s offense with a .340 batting average, as well as with team highs in RBI (11) and runs scored (10).
- John Leiter has a 2.65 ERA in 17 innings, allowing a .200 opponents’ batting average, striking out 13 and walking 12 in five appearances.
- Saint Peter’s is 5-1 this season when scoring four or more runs in a game and is 0-9 when scoring two or fewer runs.
- Saint Peter’s pitchers have yielded 61 walks in 117.2 innings.
- The Peacocks are hitting .244 as a team, have a 4.82 team ERA and have a .960 fielding percentage.