Canisius (21-22, 6-8 MAAC) at Colgate (15-29, 9-11 Patriot)
Date: Wednesday, May 1, 2013
Time: Game One starts at 3 p.m.
Place: Eaton Street Field – Hamilton, N.Y.
Live Stats: Available through GoColgateRaiders.com
Twitter: @GoGriffs (athletic department) or @GriffsSoftball (softball)
Hashtags: #Griffs #MAACSoftball
SOFTBALL TRAVELS TO MEET COLGATE WEDNESDAY
- The Canisius College softball team will travel east on the New York State Thruway on Wednesday to Hamilton, N.Y., where the team will play its final two non-league games of the 2013 campaign at Colgate.
- The Golden Griffins are 21-22 overall and 6-8 in MAAC play after dropping a pair of MAAC doubleheaders last weekend at Iona and Fairfield. Canisius is currently on a six-game losing streak, its longest of the season.
- Colgate is 15-29 overall and 9-11 in Patriot League play. The Raiders have also lost six in a row as well.
- Canisius starts its final week of the regular season ranked 11th in the county in triples per game with 0.33 and 28th nationally with 1.49 doubles per game.
- Freshman Meghan Cuda, leads the nation with her seven triples this season. She starts this trip to Colgate hitting .338 with 34 runs scored and 18 RBIs.
- Sophomore Robin Kennery leads Canisius with her .361 batting average. She has a team-high 52 hits on the year, making her the 24th player in school history to record 50 or more hits in a single-season.
- Kennery also leads the team in RBIs with 38. She needs two more runs batted in to become the ninth player in school history to drive in 40 or more runs in a year.
- Kennery is hitting a team-best .436 (24-for-55) with runners in scoring position and she’s also hitting .813 (13-for-16) with runners at third base and less than two outs in the frame.
- As a team, Canisius has 80 two-out RBIs this season, with Cuda and freshman Tori Nappo leading the way with 11 each.
- Junior Jen Consaul leads the Griffs’ pitching staff with 15 wins this year. She also leads the squad with a 2.45 ERA and 102 strikeouts in 151.1 innings.
- These two games on Wednesday are the final regular-season games for the Raiders, which have played 10-straight games at home.
- Colgate is led by senior outfielder Alana Dyson, who recently passed the 200 hit mark for her career. She’s batting .359 with 24 runs scored and 11 stolen bases.
- Freshman Mariel Schlaefer leads Colgate with seven homers and 23 RBIs. She’s hitting .320 for the year, which ranks second on the team.
- Senior pitcher Courtney O’Connell is 8-10 with a 3.25 ERA and 50 strikeouts in 120.2 innings of work in the circle.
CANISIUS – COLGATE SERIES
- Canisius and Colgate have played 19 times previously, with the last meeting coming March 24, 2007 when the two schools met in the Georgetown Hoya Invitational in Washington, D.C.
- The Griffs defeated the Raiders by a score of 3-1 the last time the two squads met on the softball diamond and Canisius starts Wednesday’s games leading the series by an 11-8 count.
- The first time Canisius and Colgate played against each other in softball was May 11, 1994, when the Raiders posted a 13-8 victory. That game was in the first round of the NYSAIAW Division I & II Championship Tournament.