Canisius (22-23, 6-8 MAAC) at Siena (17-25, 8-4 MAAC)
Date: Saturday, May 4, 2013
Time: Game One starts at 1 p.m.
Place: Siena Field – Loudonville, N.Y.
Live Stats: Available through SienaSaints.com
Twitter: @GoGriffs (athletic department) or @GriffsSoftball (softball)
Hashtags: #Griffs #MAACSoftball
SOFTBALL CLOSES 2013 SEASON AT SIENA
- The Canisius College softball team will wrap up the 2013 season on Saturday when the Golden Griffins travel to Loudonville, N.Y., to meet the Siena Saints in a MAAC doubleheader.
- The Golden Griffins are 22-23 overall and 6-8 in MAAC play after splitting a non-league doubleheader at Colgate on Wednesday. The Griffs’ 3-1 win in the opener over the Raiders ended the Blue and Gold’s six-game losing streak, which was the longest losing skid of the season.
- Siena enters the final weekend of the regular season with a 17-25 overall mark and an 8-4 league record. The Saints have won nine of their last 12 games after earning a split with cross-town rival Albany April 30.
- Canisius’ four losses at Iona and Fairfield last weekend officially eliminated the team from the 2013 MAAC Softball Championships. This marks just the third time since 1990 where the Blue and Gold has failed to earn a berth into the league’s championship tournament.
- As a team, Canisius is 20-0 on the year when leading after six innings of play. The Griffs’ 3-1 win at Colgate on May 1, not only snapped the team’s six-game losing streak, but it also improved the squad to 4-2 this season in games decided by two runs.
- Freshman Meghan Cuda and sophomore Robin Kennery each enter the final weekend hitting .351 for the year. Kennery has 53 hits, which leads the team, while Cuda ranks second with 52 hits in her rookie campaign.
- Kennery and Cuda are the 24th and 25th players in school history to post more than 50 hits in a season. Cuda needs three more hits this weekend to pass former Griff Jody Tassone for the school’s freshman hits record. Tassone had 54 hits in her rookie season of 1993.
- Kennery also leads the team in RBIs with 39. She needs one more run batted in to become the ninth player in school history to drive in 40 or more runs in a year.
- As a team, Canisius has hit 66 doubles this season, led by Cuda’s team-high 10 two-base hits. A total of eight players, including Cuda, have five or more doubles on the year.
- Canisius enters the final weekend of the regular season ranked third in the MAAC in total runs scored with 201. Siena leads the conference with 235 runs scored in 42 games played.
- Canisius junior pitcher Jen Consaul leads the team with 15 wins this season, and she also leads the squad with 105 strikeouts, which ranks third in the MAAC.
- Freshman pitcher Jenn Solis earned her first collegiate complete-game win May 1, after she went the distance and allowed one run on four hits in the Blue and Gold’s 3-1 win over Colgate on the road.
- The Saints enter the final weekend of the regular season with a 17-25 overall record and an 8-4 MAAC record. Siena starts this weekend in third place in the conference’s standings.
- Siena is led offensively by sophomore Paige Lloyd, who is hitting .379 with 10 doubles, eight home runs and 30 RBIs.
- Junior Jessika-Jo Sandrini has a team-high 12 doubles on the year and has reached base a MAAC-high 21 times after being hit-by-pitch.
- Sandrini is the top pitcher on Siena’s staff, as she enters this weekend with an 11-7 record to go with a 4.15 ERA in 109.2 innings of work.
CANISIUS – SIENA SERIES
- Canisius is 38-6 all-time against Siena after the Griffs swept the regular-season series in Buffalo April 7, 2012.
- The Griffs are 10-2 in their last 12 meetings against the Saints. The two teams split a doubleheader at Siena in Canisius’ last trip to Loudonville, which came April 22, 2011.
- Since Canisius joined the MAAC in 1990, the Griffs are 22-1 all-time against Siena in games played at the Demske Sports Complex.