The Canisius College men’s soccer team returns to action on Wednesday, playing at cross-town rival Buffalo. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m.
STRONG START FOR DE CAROLIS
• Sophomore defender Alex De Carolis was honored with Preseason All-MAAC honors before the season and has not disappointed so far.
• De Carolis has factored in three of the team’s five goals this season (60 percent). He currently leads the squad with five points and two goals.
• The 2012 MAAC All-Rookie Team selection has nearly equaled his total from his freshman campaign in just three games. In 17 contests last season, De Carolis totaled seven points, three goals and one assist.
INCHO RETURNS TO SITE OF SPORTSCENTER GOAL
• The last time Canisius and senior Andrew Incho played at Buffalo, the forward scored a goal that landed on SportsCenter.
• Incho helped lead the Griffs to a 2-1 victory against the local rival when he executed a perfect volley from 25 yards in the second half, netting his first career game-winning tally. The goal was named the second-best play of the day by SportsCenter (VIEW GOAL HERE).
• Incho also added an assist on the team’s only goal in a 1-1 draw with UB last season.
CANISIUS – BUFFALO SERIES HISTORY
• In a series that dates back to the 1971 season, Buffalo holds a 26-9-6 advantage over the Griffs.
• Last season, the two schools opened the season at the Demske Sports Complex and fought to a 1-1 draw. Asani Samuels scored the Griffs’ lone goal in the tie.
• Canisius is 4-0-1 in its last five games at UB Stadium, which includes a 2-0-1 mark against the Bulls plus two wins at the 2008 UB Fall Classic,
ABOUT THE BULLS
• Buffalo is 0-3-1 on the season, falling to St. Bonaventure, Bucknell and Siena, while tying Vermont. Two of the team’s three losses are by just one tally.
• Nicolai Berry leads the Bulls with three points on a goal and an assist with Russell Cicerone also chipping in a goal.
• Waleed Cassis has played every second in goal, posting a 1.42 goals against average and .600 save percentage.
Menís Soccer Play at Buffalo on Wednesday
Courtesy: Canisius College Athletics