Canisius (6-3, 2-0 MAAC) at St. Francis Brooklyn (5-5, 0-0 NEC)
Date: Saturday, December 14, 2013
Time: 4 p.m.
Location: Brooklyn, N.Y. | Pope PE Center
Online Video: NEC Front Row
Talent: Seth Cantor (p-x-p)
Live Audio: AM-1400 (Buffalo) & GoGriffs.com
Talent: Jay Moran (p-x-p) and Dave Schofield (color)
Live Stats: Available through SFCAthletics.com
Twitter: @Griffs_MBB | #Griffs; #MAACHoops
The Canisius College men's basketball team takes its three-game winning streak on the road Saturday afternoon when the Golden Griffins play at St. Francis Brooklyn. Tipoff is set for 4 p.m.
• Canisius plays its second of three-straight road games this afternoon as the Golden Griffins travel to meet the St. Francis Brooklyn Terriers.
• The Griffs are coming off a 69-55 win over cross-town rival Buffalo Dec. 11, in First Niagara Center. The win was Canisius’ third straight and fifth victory in its last six contests.
• Canisius’ win over Buffalo improved the Griffs to 3-0 in the month of December. This marks the first time since 1993-94 where Canisius has won three-straight games to start the final month of the calendar year.
• This is Canisius third three-game winning streak under second-year head coach Jim Baron. Prior to Baron’s arrivial prior to the start of the 2012-13 season, Canisius had won three-straight games three times over a six-year span.
FAST BREAK POINTS
• The Griffs come into today’s game with a 6-3 overall record and a 2-0 mark in MAAC play. Canisius is 2-0 in MAAC play for the second-straight season and for just the fifth time since 1989-90.
• Canisius overcame an 11-point halftime deficit on Dec. 11, to beat Buffalo by the score of 69-55.
• As a team, Canisius matched a season-low with six turnovers in its win at Buffalo Dec. 11. The Griffs have turned the ball over a total of 15 times in their last three games after turning it over a total of 41 times in the three previous contests (Nov. 19-26).
ABOUT THE TERRIERS
• St. Francis Brooklyn comes into today’s game with an overall record 5-5. The Terriers have dropped two straight, including their last game at home to Monmouth on Tuesday night.
• St. Francis is led by junior forward Jalen Cannon, who is scoring 14.5 points per game. He is also averaging a team-best 7.8 rebounds per game while shooting 51.5 percent from the floor.
• Freshman forward Wayne Martin is chipping in 9.5 points and 6.1 rebounds per game off the bench for the Terriers. As a team, St. Francis is good for 35.2 rebounds per game while shooting 40 percent from the field.
• Redshirt junior Brent Jones is dishing out 3.5 assists per game and leads the squad with his 1.75 assist-to-turnover ratio.
CANISIUS - ST. FRANCIS BROOKLYN SERIES
• This will be the 11th all-time meeting between these two schools in a series that started during the 1948-49 campaign.
• Canisius and St. Francis last played Dec. 10, 2010 in the Koessler Athletic Center. In that game, the Terriers knocked down 11 3-point field goals and posted a 76-58 victory. The only player on Canisius’ current roster to play in that game is forward Chris Manhertz, who had two points and seven rebounds in 13 minutes as a freshman.
• Canisius has played in the Pope PE Center four previous times, with each team scoring two wins. The last time Canisius played in Brooklyn was Nov. 21, 2009 - a 79-69 win for the Blue and Gold.
• Canisius’ largest win in this series came Dec. 8, 1979 when the Griffs scored a 90-64 victory when the teams played in Buffalo’s Memorial Auditorium.