Game No. 14: Canisius College (4-9, 0-4 MAAC) vs. Saint Peter’s University (2-10, 1-2 MAAC)
Date: Sunday, Jan. 5
Time: 2 p.m.
Site: Koessler Athletic Center
Live Video: GoGriffs.com and MAAC.TV
Free Audio Broadcast: GoGriffs.com
Mike Scott (p-x-p)
Amy Audibert (color)
Hashtags: #Griffs #MAACHoops
• The Canisius women’s basketball team looks to get its first win in conference play against Saint Peter’s on Sunday afternoon.
• This is the 54th meeting between the two programs, with the Peacocks leading the all-time series 30-23.
• The Griffs are 9-1 in their previous 10 meetings with Saint Peter’s at home.
• The teams last met on March 7, 2013 in the first round of the 2013 MAAC Championship. The Griffs won 79-58 while shooting 50.8 percent from the floor.
• Senior Jen Lennox scored 10 points in 13 minutes off the bench in that contest, while fellow seniors Jen Morabito and Jamie Ruttle each chipped in nine points. Junior Kayla Hoohuli had eight points and seven rebounds, while junior Brooke Angelos dished out seven assists.
• The 2013-14 season is the 25th year that Canisius has played in the MAAC
• Ruttle was named to the preseason All-MAAC Third Team. It is the third time in Ruttle’s career that she has been selected to a preseason All-MAAC Team.
• Canisius was picked to finish sixth of 11 teams in the MAAC Preseason Coaches’ Poll.
NOTING THE GRIFFS
• Canisius has shot 40 percent or better in seven games this season. The Griffs shot 40 percent or better five times in 31 games during the entire 2012-13 season.
• The Griffs have won or tied their opponent in rebounds each of the last four contests, and haven’t been outrebounded by a MAAC opponent yet this season.
• Lennox ranks third in the program’s Division I history with 93 blocks, and has five in the last three games.
• As of Jan. 3, Canisius is 15th in the country in assisted basket percentage (67.8), which is also the highest percentage in the MAAC.
• Morabito played 17 minutes on Friday night after returning from a hand injury that had sidelined her for the previous two contests.
SAINT PETER’S SCOUT
• Saint Peter’s comes into the game with a 2-10 record overall, 1-2 in the MAAC.
• The Peacocks enter the contest following a 78-46 loss at Niagara on Friday.
• Guard Aziza May is averaging 10.1 points per game this season, good for third on the Peacocks. However, she dropped a career-high 29 points in her last trip to the KAC.
• Forward Kaydine Bent enters the contest as the leading scorer and rebounder for the Peacocks, averaging 11.2 points and 7.2 rebounds per contest. She has recorded a double-double in two of the last three games.
• Guard Antonia Smith is the third player averaging double figures for the Peacocks, she averages 10.5 points per game.
• Saint Peter’s leads the MAAC in blocks per game at 2.4 per contest.