The Canisius College men’s lacrosse team plays its final home regular-season game of the 2014 season on Saturday with a Senior Day contest against VMI. The schools are set to meet at the Demske Sports Complex at 2 p.m.
SCOUTING THE GOLDEN GRIFFINS
• Canisius is currently in second place in the MAAC standings with a 3-2 conference mark and is 6-6 overall in 2014.
• Junior midfielder Tim Edwards leads the Griffs with 32 points on 12 goals and a team-best 22 assists. He also leads the team by winning 64.2 percent of his faceoffs.
• Sophomore Vince Gravino has netted a team-best 19 goals this season.
• The Griffs own the best scoring defense in the MAAC at 9.00 goals per game.
• Junior Alex Govenettio has anchored the defensive unit with an 8.70 goals against average and .552 save percentage.
SENIOR DAY CELEBRATION
• The Griffs will honor two seniors prior to Saturday’s game against VMI as Dylan Knopfke and Cody Soberanes are both set to appear in their final home game.
• Knopfke has split time between close defense and defensive midfielder in his career. He has played in 40 games (19 starts) with 25 ground balls and 13 caused turnovers.
• Soberanes, a midfielder, has played in 14 games with two points, one goal and one assist.
• Redshirt senior DJ Giacobbo is also playing in his final home game but participated in Senior Day last season.
ONE OF A KIND
• Junior Tim Edwards has been a dominant force in a number of areas in 2014.
• Edwards lead the team in points (34), assists (22) and faceoff percentage, ranking fifth nationally by winning 64.2 percent of his restarts.
• The junior is the only player in the country to take at least 40 percent of his team’s faceoffs and record more than 10 points this season.
GRAVINO THE KEY TO VICTORY
• When sophomore Vince Gravino is on his game, that usually means good things for the Griffs.
• Gravino has recorded 16 points and 14 goals in the team’s six wins this season, recording at least three goals in four of the Griffs’ six wins in 2014.
• However, in Canisius’ six losses this season, Gravino has totaled just eight points and five goals.
• Overall, Gravino leads the team with 19 goals this season and ranks second with 24 points.
CANISIUS - VMI SERIES HISTORY
• The Griffs hold a 12-4 edge in the all-time series with VMI.
• Canisius has won 10 of the last 11 meetings with the Keydets, including each of the last four years. Also included in that stretch is a Griffs win in the 2008 MAAC Championship.
• Last season, the Griffs earned a 10-7 victory at VMI with Vince Gravino setting career highs with seven points, four goals and three assists.
• The schools have played every year since 2001 and are meeting for the 14th-straight season.
• VMI was a member of the MAAC from 2003 to 2013 before leaving for the Atlantic Sun.
ABOUT THE KEYDETS
• VMI is 1-11 on the season, including a 0-4 mark in its first season in the Atlantic Sun.
• The Keydets have lost their last seven games after earning a 6-4 win against Air Force on March 2.
• Mickey Hofmeister leads the Keydets with 32 points, 22 goals and 10 assists.
• Even Windisch has started all 12 games in goal, posting a 12.30 goals against average and .489 save percentage.
• Mitch Wilson has led the team at the faceoff X, winning 45.0 percent of his restarts (107-of-238).
Men's Lacrosse Hosts VMI on Senior Day
Courtesy: Canisius College Athletics