Game No. 26
Canisius (16-9, 9-5 MAAC) at Loyola (Md.) (17-9, 9-5 MAAC)
Date: Thursday, Feb. 14, 2013
Time: 7:30 p.m.
Place: Reitz Arena (2,100) - Baltimore, Md.
Online: Through LoyolaGreyhounds.com
Radio: AM-1400 (Buffalo)
Free Online Audio: GoGriffs.com
Talent: Jay Moran (p-x-p) and Dave Schofield (color)
Twitter: @GoGriffs (athletic department) or @Griffs_MBB (men's basketball)
Hashtags: #Griffs #maachoops
CANISIUS MEETS LOYOLA IN KEY MAAC MATCH-UP
- The Canisius College men's basketball team continues its five-game road swing tonight in Baltimore when the Golden Griffins play at Loyola (Md.).
- The Griffs are 16-9 overall and 9-5 in MAAC play after the team defeated long-time rival Niagara 77-70 in Lewiston, N.Y., on Feb. 10.
- This will be Canisius' final game against Loyola with the Greyhounds being a member of the MAAC. Loyola will join the Patriot League for the 2013-14 academic year.
FAST BREAK POINTS
- Including the Griffs' 77-70 win at Niagara Feb. 10, Canisius is averaging 82 points per game following a loss to a MAAC opponent this season.
- Canisius starts tonight's game averaging 73.2 points per game through 25 games. The last time the Griffs averaged more points per game for an entire season was 2000-01, when the team posted an average of 77.3 points per outing in 31 contests.
- After making eight 3-point field goals at Niagara Feb. 10, the Blue and Gold starts tonight's game ranked second in the nation with 9.5 3-pointers per contest.
- Canisius' eight treys at Niagara gives the team 237 for the season, which is six more than the program's previous single-season record, set in the 2007-08 campaign.
- Junior guard Billy Baron scored a career-high 33 points at Niagara Feb. 10. That is the most points for a Griff in a regulation game since Micheal Meeks scored 36 points against Penn Nov. 16, 1994.
- The Heath brothers - junior Jordan and sophomore Josiah - combined to score six of the Griffs' final 11 points in the game's final 52 seconds win the win over Niagara, with Josiah going a perfect 4-for-4 from the free-throw line in the last 30 seconds of the victory.
- Junior Chris Manhertz needs three more rebounds to become the 24th player in school history to collect 500 career rebounds. He is averaging 5.0 rebounds per game in five previous career games against Loyola.
ABOUT THE GREYHOUNDS
- Loyola comes into tonight's game with a 17-9 overall record and a 9-5 MAAC mark after the Greyhounds lost on the road to Marist by a score of 69-64 Feb. 10.
- Loyola ranks second in the MAAC in field goal percentage defense (41.2 percent) and third in scoring defense, with opponents averaging 62.9 points per game against the 'Hounds.
- Junior Dylan Cormier leads Loyola and ranks fifth in the MAAC with his 16.7 points per game scoring average.
- Senior Erik Etherly is chipping in 15.4 points and 6.2 rebounds per game while shooting 42 percent from the field.
CANISIUS - LOYOLA SERIES
- This marks the 58th time these two Jesuit schools have met on the hardwood, with Canisius leading the all-time series 35-22.
- The Griffs' 91-79 win over Loyola in Buffalo Jan. 31 snapped the Greyhounds' two-game winning streak in this series.
- Loyola is 14-9 all-time in the Reitz Arena against Canisius, with wins coming in each of the Griffs' last two trips to Baltimore.
- This series dates back to Jan. 29, 1955 where the Griffs posted a 73-63 in The Aud.