Game No. 27
Canisius (16-10, 9-6 MAAC) at Saint Peter's (8-17, 3-12 MAAC)
Date: Saturday, Feb. 16, 2013
Time: 2 p.m.
Place: Yanitelli Center (3,200) - Jersey City, N.J.
Online: Through SaintPetersPeacocks.com & CollegeInsider.com
Radio: AM-1400 (Buffalo)
Free Online Audio: GoGriffs.com
Talent: Jay Moran (p-x-p)
Twitter: @GoGriffs (athletic department) or @Griffs_MBB (men's basketball)
Hashtags: #Griffs #maachoops
CANISIUS TRAVELS TO TAKE ON SAINT PETER'S
- The Canisius College men's basketball team will play its fourth consecutive road game this afternoon when the Golden Griffins play at Saint Peter's in Jersey City, N.J.
- The Griffs are 16-10 overall and 9-6 in MAAC play after the team lost at Loyola (Md.) by a score of 68-64 on Thursday night in Baltimore.
- This will be Canisius' final road MAAC game of the 2012-13 season. A win today would give the Griffs a winning MAAC record on the road for the first time since the 1996-97 campaign.
FAST BREAK POINTS
- Including the Griffs' 77-70 win at Niagara Feb. 10, Canisius comes into today's game averaging 82 points per game following a loss to a MAAC opponent this season.
- This will mark the first time Canisius head coach Jim Baron has faced Saint Peter's in his 26-year head coaching career. After today, Baron will have coached against 144 Division I schools since 1987.
- Canisius' plus 11 win total over last year's number of victories ranks third in the nation on the NCAA's "biggest turnaround list" through all games played on Feb. 14. Bryant leads the country with 14 more wins this season than it had all of last year.
- After making six 3-point field goals at Loyola on Thursday, the Blue and Gold starts today's game ranked second in the nation with 9.5 3-pointers per contest.
- Junior forward Chris Manhertz posted his fourth double-double of the season and the eighth in his career on Thursday night after he scored 14 points to go with a game-high 10 rebounds.
- Manhertz's 10 boards against Loyola on Thursday allowed him to become the 24th player in school history to collect 500 career rebounds. He's been good for 10 or more boards in 11 games this season and in 20 games through his career.
- Junior Jordan Heath led all Canisius players with 15 points at Loyola. He's scored in double figures 10 times since returning from an ankle injury Dec. 22.
ABOUT THE PEACOCKS
- Saint Peter's comes into this afternoon's contest with an 8-17 overall record and a 3-12 mark in MAAC play. The Peacocks lost at Rider on Thursday and have dropped 11 of their last 13 games.
- Redshirt sophomore Desi Washington leads Saint Peter's offensive attack with his 14.2 points per game scoring average. That ranks 10th in the MAAC.
- Junior Yvon Raymond is good for 10.2 points per game and a team-high 5.1 rebounds per contest. As a team, Saint Peter's ranks last in the MAAC in rebounding with 31.4 boards per game.
- Junior Blaise Frfench ranks third in the MAAC with his 4.8 assists per game.
CANISIUS - SAINT PETER'S SERIES
- This will be the 68th all-time meeting between these two Jesuit schools, with Canisius holding a 36-31 lead in the series.
- The Peacocks swept the regular-season series last year and come into today's game having won nine of the last 10 meetings between these two squads, dating back to the 2008-09 campaign.
- Canisius is 17-14 all-time against Saint Peter's in the Yanitelli Center, but the Griffs have not scored a win here since Jan. 13, 2007.