Canisius (17-10, 10-6 MAAC) at Vermont (17-9, 10-4 America East)
Date: Saturday, Feb. 23, 2013
Time: 1 p.m.
Place: Patrick Gymnasium (4,003) - Burlington, Vt.
Talent: Ed Cohen (p-x-p) and Rob Kennedy (color)
Radio: 1400-AM (Buffalo)
Free Online Audio: GoGriffs.com
Talent: Jay Moran (p-x-p)
Hashtags: #Griffs #MAACHoops
CANISIUS PLAYS AT VERMONT IN BRACKETBUSTER GAME ON ESPN3
- The Canisius College men’s basketball team will play its final road game of the 2012-13 regular season this afternoon when the Golden Griffins play at Vermont as part of the Ramada Worldwide BracketBuster series.
- The Griffs are 17-10 overall and 10-6 in MAAC play after the team defeated Saint Peter’s 68-59 in Jersey City, N.J., Feb. 16.
- Canisius is 5-2 all-time in the BracketBuster Series with a 1-2 road record in this event.
FAST BREAK POINTS
- Canisius and Vermont used to be members of the North Atlantic Conference, where the teams played at least one time each season. However, since Canisius left the NAC to join the MAAC, the Griffs and Catamounts have not played in 22 years.
- Only five players on the Canisius roster were born the last time Canisius and Vermont met on the hardwood.
- A victory today would give Canisius an 8-8 record on the road during the 2012-13 regular season. The last time the Griffs finished .500 or better on the road during the regular season was 2000-01 campaign when the Blue and Gold was 7-7 in road dates.
- The Griffs enter today’s game ranked sixth nationally in 3-point field goals per game with 9.2.
- Junior guard Billy Baron leads the Griffs with his 16.7 points per game, and his 5.1 assists per outing are tops in the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference.
- Senior guard Harold Washington scored a team-high 16 points at Saint Peter’s Feb. 16, the 43rd time in his 57 career games at Canisius where he’s scored in double figures.
- Senior Isaac Sosa ranks second in the MAAC and 18th nationally with his 2.9 3-pointers per game this season. However, he has just five total makes from long range in the Griffs’ last four outings.
ABOUT THE CATAMOUNTS
- Vermont comes into this afternoon’s game with a 17-9 overall record and a 10-4 mark in America East action after the Catamounts defeated Maine at home on Wednesday by the score of 73-61.
- Vermont leads America East and ranks 18th in the nation in scoring defense, allowing opponents to score an average of 58 points per game.
- Junior Clancy Ruff leads the team in scoring with 11.2 points per game, while fellow junior Brian Voelkel is pulling down 9.0 rebounds per game.
- In Vermont’s win over Maine on Wednesday, Voelkel posted a double-double with 16 rebounds and 10 assists to go along with two points.
CANISIUS - VERMONT SERIES
- This will be the 18th all-time meeting between these two schools and today marks the first time Canisius and Vermont have met on the hardwood since Jan. 28, 1991.
- The Griffs are 16-1 all-time against the Catamounts and the Blue and Gold starts today riding a 15-game winning streak in this series.
- Canisius and Vermont first met Jan. 4, 1982 when both schools were members of the North Atlantic Conference.
- The Griffs have never lost in Vermont’s Patrick Gymnasium, as the program comes into today’s matchup with an 8-0 mark. The last time Canisius played at UVM was Jan. 23, 1990.