Date: Saturday, November 16
Time: 7 p.m.
Location: Olean, N.Y. | Reilly Center
Talent: Jeremy Noeson (p-x-p) and Josh Carniewski (color)
Live Audio: AM-1400 (Buffalo) & GoGriffs.com
Talent: Jay Moran (p-x-p) and Mike Bundt (sideline)
Live Stats: GoGriffs.com
Twitter: @Griffs_MBB | #Griffs; #MAACHoops
The Canisius College men's basketball team travels to long-time rival St. Bonaventure Saturday night for the Golden Griffins' first road game of the year. This will mark the 162nd all-time meeting between these two Western New York schools.
TONIGHT’S OPPONENT: ST. BONAVENTURE
• St. Bonaventure enters tonight’s game with a 2-0 record after defeating South Dakota and Abilene Christian. The Bonnies have not allowed their first two opponents to reach 50 points in a game this season.
• The Bonnies went 14-15 overall last season and 7-9 in Atlantic 10 play.
• St. Bonaventure is led by senior Charlon Kloof, who is averaging 13.5 points per game this season.
•Canisius improved to 52-21 in home openers (since 1940) with its 71-66 win over South Dakota Nov. 11.
• The win over South Dakota gives the Golden Griffins back-to-back season-opening wins for the first time since the 2002-03 and 2003-04 campaigns.
FAST BREAK POINTS
• This is the 110th season of Canisius men’s basketball. The Griffs are the first MAAC school to reach the 110-year varsity anniversary.
• The Griffs hold an all-time record of 76-32 in season-opening contests (no records for the 1913-14 and 1918-19 seasons) after defeating South Dakota at home Nov. 11.
ABOUT THE BONNIES
• St. Bonaventure is closing out its three-game homestand to start the 2013-14 season tonight when the team hosts Canisius.
• The Bonnies have beaten South Dakota (68-46) and Abilene Christian (75-47) this season. This marks the first time St. Bonaventure has held opponents under 50 points in back-to-back games since 2009-10.
• Senior Charlon Kloof leads the way for the Bonnies offense with his 13.5 points per game scoring average. In the win over Abilene Christian Nov. 11, four of the Bonnies’ starters posted double-digits in the scoring column.
• Junior guard Jordan Gathers scored 14 points in the team’s win over Abilene Christian Nov. 11, and he comes into tonight’s game averaging 12.5 points and 4.0 assists per game.
• As a team, the Bonnies have held their first two opponents to an average of 46.5 points per game, while limiting South Dakota and Abilene Christian to a combined 34.1 percent from the field and 23.5 percent from 3-point range.
CANISIUS - ST. BONAVENTURE SERIES
• Tonight’s game between Canisius and St. Bonaventure marks the 162nd all-time clash between these two long-time Western New York rivals.
• St. Bonaventure holds a 97-64 lead in the all-time series, but the series has been more even in the last 10 contests, with Canisius holding a 6-4 lead in the series since the 2003 game.
•Last season, Canisius defeated St. Bonaventure 72-69 in front of a sold-out Koessler Athletic Center. That game marked just the sixth time in 161 meetings where the final score was decided by five points or less. The Griffs are 4-2 in those games.
• This game will mark the 36th time the Griffs have played the Bonnies in the Reilly Center, where St. Bonaventure holds a 30-5 lead in the series.
• The Griffs lost 25-straight games in the Reilly Center before posting a 76-74 win Dec. 3, 1994. In their six previous trips to Olean, N.Y., the Blue and Gold is 2-4.
• Canisius has played more games against St. Bonaventure (161) than any other non-conference opponent.
• This is the 91st season these two schools have met on the hardwood. In terms of years, this is Canisius’ longest running rivalry.