Canisius (1-2, 0-0 MAAC) vs. Elon (2-2, 0-0 Southern)
Date: Tuesday, November 19
Time: 5 p.m.
Location: Piscataway, N.J. | The RAC
Live Audio: AM-1400 (Buffalo) & GoGriffs.com
Talent: Jay Moran (p-x-p) and Dave Schofield (color)
Live Stats: GoGriffs.com
Twitter: @Griffs_MBB | #Griffs; #MAACHoops
The Canisius College men's basketball team returns to the hardwood tonight when the team plays Elon in the second round of the 2013 NIT Season Tip Off. This is the second time Canisius and Elon have met in the last eight months, having also played in the first round of the 2013 CIT last March.
TONIGHT’S OPPONENT: ELON
• Elon comes into tonight’s game with a 2-2 record after falling to Drexel 71-64 last night in the first game of the NIT Season Tip Off North Regional.
• The Phoenix opened the year with two wins before dropping each of their last two contests.
• Elon is averaging 80.5 points per game through four contests, highlighted by its 114-point effort against Washington & Lee in the season opener.
• Canisius’ 51 points scored in the loss to Rutgers last night are the fewest points in a game for the team since the team lost to Fairfield 66-45 at home Jan. 3, 2013 - a span of 21 games.
• As a team, Canisius has dished out a total of 25 assists on 68 made field goals this year (36.8 percent)
FAST BREAK POINTS
• This is the 110th season of Canisius men’s basketball. The Griffs are the first MAAC school to reach the 110-year varsity anniversary.
• This is the second time Canisius has taken part in the NIT Season Tip Off event. The Griffs are 1-2 all-time in the NIT Season Tip Off, having previously gone 1-1 in the 1994-95 preseason NIT event.
ABOUT THE PHOENIX
• Elon comes into tonight’s game with a 2-2 overall record in 2013-14. The Phoenix lost to Drexel last night by a score of 71-64.
• The Phoenix opened the year 2-0 with wins over Washington & Lee and Marist, but have lost to Charlotte and Drexel in the last five days.
• Senior forward Lucas Troutman is one of five Elon players averaging double-figures in the scoring column with his team-high 16.0 points per game. He also leads the team with eight blocked shots.
• Senior forward Ryley Beaumont ranks second on the team with his 12.5 points per game and he leads the Phoenix with his 5.0 rebounds per outing. As a team, Elon is averaging 29.8 rebounds per game and just 5.0 offensive rebounds per contest this season.
• Senior Sebastian Koch and sophomore Tanner Samson are each chipping in 12.3 points per game this season. Junior Austin Hamilton leads the team by shooting 66.7 percent (16-for-24) from the field through four games.
• As a team, Elon is shooting 51.7 percent from the field, 37.4 percent from 3-point land and 80.6 percent from the free-throw line. Opponents are shooting 41.7 percent from the floor against the Phoenix’s defense.
CANISIUS - ELON SERIES
• Tonight’s game between Canisius and Elon will be the second all-time meeting between the two schools, with the first meeting coming just eight months ago.
• Canisius and Elon met in the first round of the 2013 CIT, with the Golden Griffins earning a 69-53 win in the Koessler Athletic Center.