Canisius (15-7, 9-2 MAAC) at Fairfield (4-17, 1-9 MAAC)
Date: Saturday, February 1, 2014
Time: 1 p.m.
Location: Bridgeport, Conn. | Webster Bank Arena
Talent: Bob Heussler (p-x-p) and Joe DiSantis (color)
Live Audio: AM-1400 WWWS (Buffalo) & GoGriffs.com
Talent: Jay Moran (p-x-p) and Dave Schofield (color)
Live Stats: Available through FairfieldStags.com
Twitter: @Griffs_MBB | #Griffs; #MAACHoops
The Canisius College men's basketball team takes its three-game winning streak to Fairfield on Saturday afternoon for the first meeting of the season with the Stags. The Griffs enter Saturday's game averaging 82.1 points per game in 11 MAAC contests this season.
• Canisius wraps up its weekend road trip to Connecticut this afternoon when the Golden Griffins take on Fairfield in Bridgeport, Conn.
• The Griffs are coming off an 86-74 win at Quinnipiac Thursday night. Canisius is the first MAAC school to post a conference win in Quinnipiac’s TD Bank Sports Center.
• The Griffs come into this game with a 15-7 overall record and an 9-2 mark in MAAC play. This marks the first time Canisius is in first place in the month of February since the 1996-97 season.
• The 15 wins for the Blue and Gold are the most for the program by Feb. 1, in school history. The previous record was 14 wins, set by the 1956-57 squad.
FAST BREAK POINTS
• Canisius senior Billy Baron scored a team-high 20 points in the win at Quinnipiac Thursday night. He ranks seconds in the MAAC and fourth in the nation in scoring average at 24.0 points per game.
• Canisius senior Chris Perez chipped in 15 points and five assists in the win over the Bobcats Thursday night. When Perez scores in double-figures, Canisius is 10-3 this season.
• Freshman guard Zach Lewis was good for 17 points in the team’s win at Quinnipiac Thursday night. Since Lewis joined the starting line-up Jan. 10 in the win over Rider, Canisius is 6-1 and the Windsor, Conn., native is averaging 13.6 points per game.
• Canisius senior Jordan Heath had a game-high 10 rebounds at Quinnipiac, his seventh career double-digit rebound game.
ABOUT THE STAGS
• Fairfield comes into today’s game with a 4-17 overall record and a 1-9 mark in MAAC play.
• The Stags’ lone MAAC win came Jan. 18, when the team defeated Manhattan 71-67. Those 71 points are the most for Fairfield in its last five games.
• Fairfield is led by forward Marcus Gilbert, who is averaging 13.4 points per game. Fellow forward Maurice Barrow is good for 12.8 points per game.
• The Stags rank 11th in the MAAC in scoring average at 61.2 points per game. The team does have the second-best scoring defense, as the Stags allow just 68.6 points per contest.
CANISIUS - FAIRFIELD SERIES
• Today’s game will mark the 76th all-time meeting between these two Jesuit schools, with Fairfield holding a 44-31 lead in the series.
• Last season, Canisius defeated Fairfield in Webster Bank Arena by the score of 67-55 to snap its nine-game losing streak to the Stags, which dated back to 2009.
• The Griffs are 3-9 all-time against Fairfield in Webster Bank Arena. Last year’s victory marked the Blue and Gold’s first win over Fairfield in Bridgeport since 2006.