Canisius (20-10, 14-5 MAAC) at Manhattan (21-7, 14-5 MAAC)
Date: Sunday, March 2, 2014
Time: 4:30 p.m.
Location: Riverdale, N.Y. | Draddy Gymnasium
Talent: Doug Sherman (p-x-p) and Rob Kennedy (color)
Live Audio: AM-1400 WWWS (Buffalo) & GoGriffs.com
Talent: Jay Moran (p-x-p)
Live Stats: Available through GoJaspers.com
Twitter: @Griffs_MBB | #Griffs; #MAACHoops
The Canisius men's basketball team closes out the 2013-14 regular season at Manhattan on Sunday, and both teams enter the game tied with Quinnipiac for second-place in the MAAC standings. The game will be broadcast live on ESPN3.GRIFF-INFO
• Canisius closes out the 2013-14 regular season today at Manhattan. Both teams are tied with Quinnipiac for second place in the MAAC standings.
• The Golden Griffins enter today’s game with a 20-10 overall record and a 14-5 mark in MAAC play. This is the eighth 20-win season in school history and it marks the first time since 1993-94 where the Blue and Gold won 20 games during the regular season.
• Canisius posted win No. 20 of the season on Friday with a 79-66 victory at Rider. That road win was Canisius’ fifth-straight conference road victory, dating back to Jan. 30 at Quinnipiac.
• Canisius can finish anywhere from 2-4 in the MAAC standings, pending today’s final results. The Griffs were in a similar situation last season and ended up tied with Iona for fourth at the end of the regular season.
FAST BREAK POINTS
• Canisius senior Billy Baron leads Canisius and ranks third in the nation with his 24.9 points per game scoring average. In the team’s last five games, he’s averaging 31.2 points, 7.0 assists and 5.6 rebounds per game.
• Baron recorded his sixth career double-double on Friday night when he scored 29 points to go with 10 assists in Canisius’ road win at Rider.
• Canisius senior Jordan Heath went 8-for-9 from the field (including four dunks) to record 21 points at Rider on Friday. That was the third 20-point game in his career.
• Canisius senior Chris Manhertz had nine rebounds at Rider to give him 751 for his career. Manhertz is the sixth Canisius player in school history to record 750-plus career rebounds.
ABOUT THE JASPERS
• Manhattan comes into this afternoon’s season finale with a 21-7 overall record and a 14-5 mark in MAAC play. The Jaspers have won seven of their last eight after defeating Iona in overtime by the score of 80-77 Friday night.
• Manhattan’s offense is led by senior guard George Beamon, who comes into today’s game averaging 19.6 points per game. That ranks third in the MAAC.
• Fellow senior Michael Alvarado is chipping 12.4 points per game and he leads Manhattan with 118 assists on the year, which breaks down to 4.2 per contest. That ranks fourth in the MAAC.
• Senior Rhamel Brown leads the MAAC and ranks second in the nation with his 3.9 blocks per game.
• As a team, Manhattan ranks fourth in the MAAC in scoring offense at 77.8 points per game while ranking third in scoring defense. The Jaspers are allowing 70.8 points per game while holding teams to 40.7 percent from the field, which ranks first in field goal percentage defense in the MAAC.
CANISIUS - MANHATTAN SERIES
• Today’s meeting between Canisius and Manhattan is the 84th contest between these two schools, with the Jaspers holding a 50-33 lead in the all-time series.
• The Griffs and the Jaspers split the regular-season series in 2012-13, with each team winning on its home floor. Manhattan’s win at Canisius Feb. 7, improved the Jaspers to 27-26 all-time against the Griffs in Buffalo.
• Canisius is just 6-21 all-time on the road against Manhattan, with three of those six wins coming since the 2006-07 season.