Game No. 23
Canisius (4-18, 1-11 MAAC) at Marist (7-15, 2-9 MAAC)
Date: Saturday, Feb. 4, 2012
Time: 7 p.m.
Place: McCann Arena - Poughkeepsie, N.Y.
Online Video: Golden Griffin Broadcast Network and MAAC.TV
Radio: Golden Griffin Broadcast Network
Talent: Jay Moran (p-x-p) and Dave Schofield (color)
CANISIUS TAKES ON MARIST SATURDAY NIGHT
- The Canisius men's basketball team ends its weekend road trip tonight when the team plays at Marist College.
- The Golden Griffins are 4-18 overall and 1-11 in league play after falling to Iona by a score of 105-86 Thursday night in New Rochelle, N.Y.
- The 86 points scored by the Griffs at Iona stand as the most points for Canisius in a losing effort since the Blue and Gold fell to Niagara 89-88 Feb. 13, 2007.
FAST BREAK POINTS
- Canisius is looking to snap its six-game losing skid - the last win for the Griffs came Jan. 13, when the team defeated Marist at home by a score of 67-57.
- On Thursday at Iona, Gaels guard Lamont Jones scored 43 points, which set a new Hynes Athletic Center record for points in a game.
- That 43-point effort by Jones is the most for a Canisius opponent since former Saint Peter's Keydren Clark had 43 against the Griffs Feb. 24, 2006. Niagara's Calvin Murphy holds the record for most points in a game by a Canisius opponent with 48, which he scored in The Aud Jan. 13, 1968.
- Canisius had four players score in double-figures at Iona Thursday, the fifth time this season the Griffs have had four players in double figures in the scoring column.
- Junior Gaby Belardo came off the bench and scored a season-high 27 points after he knocked down a career-high six 3-pointers.
- Belardo is averaging 15.7 points and 3.3 assists in the team's last nine games, dating back to Jan. 5.
- Fellow junior Alshwan Hymes added 23 points to the Canisius effort after he went 8-for-16 from the floor and 4-for-8 from 3-point land. He now has 152 career 3-pointers, which ties him for fourth all-time in program history.
- Freshman forward Josiah Heath had 12 points and eight rebounds against Iona, the second time he's scored in double figures this year. He has been good for eight rebounds in four of the team's last six games.
ABOUT THE RED FOXES
- Marist comes into this evening's contest with a 7-15 overall mark and a 2-9 league record.
- The Red Foxes have dropped eight straight, with their last win coming Jan. 2 against Saint Peter's.
- Junior guard Devin Price leads the Marist squad with his 13.0 points per game scoring average. He starts tonight's game ranked 14th in the MAAC in scoring.
- Freshman Chavaughn Lewis is chipping in 12.9 points per game, which ranks fourth among MAAC freshmen.
- The Red Foxes' top rebounder is sophomore Adam Kemp, who is pulling down 7.4 rebounds per game. As a team, Marist ranks fifth in the MAAC in rebounding average with 34.6 pulls per outing.
- During this eight-game losing streak, Marist is averaging 61.1 points per game, As a team, the Red Foxes are averaging 67.3 points per game, which ranks sixth in the league.
- On defense, Marist is giving up 76.2 points per game, which ranks ninth in the MAAC. The Red Foxes have allowed 65-or more points in eight of their last nine games.
CANISIUS - MARIST SERIES
- This marks the 35th time these two schools have met, with Canisius holding a 20-14 advantage in the series which began Jan. 31, 1998 in HSBC Arena.
- The Griffs have won seven of the last eight games in this series, dating back to Jan. 23, 2009 in Poughkeepsie, N.Y.
- This will be Canisius' 15th trip to the McCann Arena, with the series knotted at 7-7. Marist defeated Canisius 74-64 in Poughkeepsie, N.Y., in the Griffs' last visit to Marist's campus.
- These two schools did not play until Marist joined the MAAC prior to the 1997-98 season.