Game No. 25
Presented by Anderson's, AAA, WYRK and The Buffalo News
Canisius (4-20, 1-13 MAAC) vs. Siena (10-14, 5-9 MAAC)
Date: Saturday, Feb. 11, 2012
Time: 2 p.m.
Place: Koessler Athletic Center - Buffalo, N.Y.
TV: Time Warner SportsNet
Talent: Jim Brinson (p-x-p) and Brendan McDaniels (color)
Internet Video: Golden Griffin Broadcast Network
Radio: Golden Griffin Broadcast Network
Talent: Jay Moran (p-x-p)
CANISIUS HOSTS SIENA SATURDAY AFTERNOON
- The Canisius men's basketball team looks to end its eight-game losing skid today when the Golden Griffins play host to Siena in the Koessler Athletic Center.
- The Golden Griffins are 4-20 overall and 1-13 in league play after falling to Rider Thursday night by a score of 71-66.
- This eight-game losing streak is the longest for the Golden Griffins since the team opened the 2007-08 season with eight-straight defeats.
FAST BREAK POINTS
- Canisius snapped its 10-game losing streak in the series with Siena last season when the Blue and Gold posted a 62-61 win here in the Koessler Athletic Center on Jan. 7, 2011.
- The Griffs were charged with 12 turnovers in Thursday's loss to Rider - the team is averaging 11.6 turnovers per game in the last five contests.
- As a team, the Blue and Gold comes into this game leading the MAAC and ranking 37th in the nation in free-throw shooting percentage at 73.9 percent.
- Today's game features five of the top seven players on the MAAC's average minutes played per game chart, with Canisius juniors Alshwan Hymes (35.7 mpg) and Harold Washington (34.9 mpg) ranking fifth and seventh on the list.
- Washington scored 15 points in the game against Rider Thursday night and added 10 rebounds for his first career double-double.
- Sophomore Chris Manhertz added 15 points and eight boards to the Griffs' effort Thursday - he set a new career high with nine made free-throws on a career best 10 free-throw chances.
- Freshman Franklin Milian scored a career-high 11 points against Rider and is now averaging 5.0 points and 4.2 rebounds per game since joining the starting lineup.
- Fellow freshman Kevin Bleeker returned to the starting lineup against Rider, his first start since Nov. 17 at UNLV.
- Freshman Josiah Heath has pulled down eight rebounds in five of the team's last eight games.
ABOUT THE SAINTS
- Siena comes into this afternoon's game with a 10-14 overall record and a 5-9 mark in MAAC action.
- The Saints have dropped four straight, including their game at Niagara Thursday night by a score of 58-54.
- Junior forward OD Anosike leads the team in scoring average with 14.8 points and rebounding average with 13 boards per outing.
- Anosike not only leads the nation in rebounding average, he also leads the country with his 18 double-doubles this year.
- Freshman Evan Hymes leads the nation in minutes played per game since Dec. 15, playing an average of 39.8 minutes per contest.
- As a team, Siena has scored less than 60 points in three-straight games and comes into today's contest with an 0-7 record in MAAC road dates.
CANISIUS - SIENA SERIES
- This will be the 87th all-time meeting between these two schools, with the Saints holding a 49-37 lead in the series.
- The Griffs snapped a 10-game losing streak in the series Jan. 7, 2011 when the Blue and Gold registered a 62-61 win in the Koessler Athletic Center.
- The Griffs are 25-13 all-time against the Saint in home games through this series and 7-6 all-time in games played on the Koessler Athletic Center floor.