Game No. 29
Canisius (5-23, 1-16 MAAC) at Siena (12-16, 7-10 MAAC)
Date: Sunday, Feb. 26, 2012
Time: 2 p.m.
Place: Times Union Center - Albany, N.Y.
TV: Time Warner SportsNet
Talent: Robert Lee (p-x-p) and Tom Huerter (color)
Online Video: Through SienaSaints.com
Radio: Golden Griffin Broadcast Network
Talent: Jay Moran (p-x-p) and Garrett Layton (color)
GRIFFS WRAP UP REGULAR SEASON AT SIENA SUNDAY
- The Canisius College Golden Griffins will close out the 2011-12 regular season this afternoon when the team meets Siena in the Times Union Center.
- The Griffs are 5-23 overall and 1-16 in the MAAC after losing on the road to Manhattan Friday night by a final score of 90-77.
- Canisius comes into this game looking to snap a seven-game losing streak to Siena in the Times Union Center which dates back to Jan. 17, 2005.
FAST BREAK POINTS
- Canisius will be the No. 10 seed in next weekend's MAAC Men's Basketball Championship. The Blue and Gold will play either Niagara or Siena March 2, at 9:30 p.m., in Springfield, Mass.
- Siena defeated Canisius by a score of 60-50 when these two teams met Feb. 11, in Buffalo. Canisius junior Harold Washington scored a game-high 16 points for the Griffs in that loss.
- Washington ranks fifth in the MAAC in scoring average with 16.4 points per game and 12th in the MAAC with 2.8 assists per contest.
- Last season, junior Gaby Belardo scored a career-high 29 points on Jan. 17, 2011, when the Griffs lost to Siena in the Times Union Center.
- Canisius junior Alshwan Hymes has knocked down five 3-point field goals in each of the Griffs' last three contests. He starts today's game with 80 3-pointers this season, which is tops on the school's single-season 3-point field goals made list.
- Hymes has scored 23 points in back-to-back games after he had 23 at Manhattan on Friday night. In each of the last two games, he's gone 9-for-16 from the floor and 5-for-11 from 3-point range.
- Sophomore Chris Manhertz leads Canisius with 218 rebounds this season. He is just the eighth Canisius player to record 215-or more rebounds in a single season since 1980-81.
- With two offensive rebounds today, Manhaertz will have 100 offensive boards for the year. The last Griff to have 100-or more offensive boards in a season was Darren Fenn, who had 120 offensive boards during the 1999-00 campaign.
ABOUT THE SAINTS
- Siena comes into the final day of the regular season with a 12-16 overall record and a 7-10 mark in MAAC games.
- The Saints have dropped two straight after falling at Marist Feb. 23, by a score of 61-62.
- Junior OD Anosike is averaging 15.1 points and 12.8 rebounds per game this season. He leads the nation in rebounding average and double-doubles with 21 this year.
- Anosike has accounted for 35 percent of Siena's rebounds this season, and his 4.5 offensive rebounds per game lead the MAAC.
- As a team, Siena is averaging 62.3 points per game, which ranks ninth in the MAAC and 282nd in the country.
- The Saints are 9-4 at home this season and come into today's game having won seven of their last eight games in the Times Union Center.
CANISIUS - SIENA SERIES
- This afternoon marks the 87th all-time meeting between these two schools, with Siena holding a 49-37 lead in the series.
- The Griffs snapped a 10-game losing streak to Siena with a 62-61 home win on Jan. 7, 2011. Since then, Siena has taken two straight from the Blue and Gold.
- The Saints start today with a seven-game home winning streak in this series, dating back to Canisius' last win in Albany, which came Jan. 17, 2005 in overtime.
- The Griffs are 16-29 in all games (regular season and MAAC Tournament) played on the Times Union Center court.