Game No. 32
2013 CIT First Round Game, presented by The Buffalo News
Canisius (18-13, 11-7 MAAC) vs. Elon (21-11, 13-5 SoCon)
Date: Wednesday, March 20, 2013
Time: 7 p.m.
Place: Koessler Athletic Center (2,196) - Buffalo, N.Y.
Broadcast: Time Warner Cable SportsChannel
Talent: Kevin Sylvester (p-x-p and Richard Walsh (color)
Online: Through CollegeInsider.com
Radio: AM-1400 (Buffalo)
Free Online Audio: GoGriffs.com
Talent: Jay Moran (p-x-p) and Mike Scott (color)
Twitter: @GoGriffs (athletic department) or @Griffs_MBB (men's basketball)
Hashtags: #Griffs #CIT #maachoops
CANISIUS MEETS ELON IN CIT FIRST ROUND GAME
- The Canisius College men's basketball team will play its first postseason game in 17 years tonight when the Golden Griffinsmeet Elon University in the first round of the 2013 CIT.
- The Griffs are 18-13 overall and 11-7 in MAAC play after losing to Iona 89-85 March 9 in the quarterfinal round of the 2013 MAAC Basketball Championship in Springfield, Mass.
- Elon comes to Buffalo with a 21-11 overall record and a 13-5 mark in Southern Conference play. The Phoenix won the 2013 Southern Conference North Division.
FAST BREAK POINTS
- Tonight marks the first time in program history where the Griffs have hosted a postseason game in the Koessler Athletic Center.
- This game tonight is the 300th all-time game in program history in the Koessler Athletic Center for the Griffs. The building opened in 1968, but this was not the regular home for the program until the 1999-00 campaign.
- Canisius head coach Jim Baron is taking his 12th team to the postseason in his 26th season as a Division I head coach. Baron has now coached in all four Division I men's basketball tournaments (NCAA, NIT, CIT and CBI).
- The Griffs enter this game tonight ranked second nationally in 3-point field goals per game with 9.2 per outing. The team ranks 14th nationally in 3-point field goal percentage at 38.8 percent.
- Junior guard Billy Baron comes into tonight's game ranked third in the MAAC with his 16.9 points per game. He was honored as an All-MAAC First Team selection for the 2012-13 season.
- Senior guard Harold Washington was named All-MAAC Third Team March 4 by the MAAC. He is averaging 19.6 points per game in the team's last five contests.
- Junior forward Chris Manhertz enters tonight's game averaging 8.9 rebounds per game this season. He currently ranks 50th in the nation in rebounding average.
ABOUT THE PHOENIX
- Elon comes into the CollegeInsider.com Postseason Tournament with a 21-11 overall record and a 13-5 record in the Southern Conference. The Phoenix won the Southern Conference North Division title this year, the program's second North Division crown since 2006.
- The Phoenix are 8-7 in road games this year and come into tonight's game as winners of six of their last 10 games.
- Elon is making its first Division I men's basketball postseason appearance in this game tonight.
- Junior forward Lucas Troutman leads the Phoenix in scoring average at 15.3 points per game, which ranks fifth in the Southern Conference. He also leads the team with his 55.1 percent effort from the field this season.
- Junior Jack Isenbarger is good for 13.2 points and 2.7 assists per game. He also leads the team with 79 3-point field goals this year.
- Junior Ryley Beaumont is averaging a team-high 7.0 rebounds per game this year, with 179 of his 223 total rebounds coming off the defensive glass. As a team, Elon is being out rebounded by a margin of 1.8 rebounds per contest this season.
- As a team, Elon ranks fourth in the Southern Conference in scoring average (69.4 points per game) and fourth in scoring defense (64.8 points per game allowed).
CANISIUS - ELON SERIES
- Tonight's game between Canisius and Elon will mark the first meeting in program history.
- Dating back to 2005-06, Canisius is 9-8 in its last 17 games when meeting an opponent for the in school history.
- Elon is the 52nd Division I men's basketball program to play a game against Canisius in the Koessler Athletic Center since the building opened in 1968.
CANISIUS RETURNS TO THE POSTSEASON
- Tonight's game against Elon in the CollegeInsider.com Postseason Tournament will be Canisius' first postseason basketball game since March 14, 1996 - a span of 17 years.
- The last time the Griffs played in a postseason event, the team met Utah in the first round of the 1996 NCAA Tournament in Reunion Arena in Dallas. Utah won that game by a score of 72-43.
- Canisius assistant coach Fred Dupree was a sophomore on the 1996 NCAA Tournament team and he scored three points against Utah.
- All-time, Canisius has played in a total of 21 postseason men's basketball games prior to this evening, with the team holding a 11-10 all-time record in those contests (NCAA and NIT games).
- Tonight's home game also marks the program's first home postseason game since March 23, 1995 - a span of nearly 18 years. That night, Canisius defeated Washington State 89-80 in the NIT quarterfinal round to earn a trip to the NIT Final Four in Madison Square Garden.
ABOUT THE CIT
- Now in its fifth year, the CollegeInsider.com Postseason Tournament (CIT) is made up of 32 teams playing in a single-elimination style tournament.
- There is no true bracket to the CIT - the field is rebracketed after each round. The first round of the 2013 CIT started Tuesday night and will conclude at the end of tonight's action.
- The second round of the CIT is scheduled to be played March 21-23. All games in this event are scheduled to be played in on-campus venues.
- The CIT Championship Game is set to be played April 2. That game will be broadcast live on CBS Sports Network. All other games will be streamed live through CollegeInsider.com.