Canisius (19-10, 13-5 MAAC) at Rider (13-14, 9-9 MAAC)
Date: Friday, February 28, 2014
Time: 9 p.m.
Location: Lawrenceville, N.J. | Alumni Gymnasium
Talent: Doug Sherman (p-x-p) and Tim McCormick (color)
Live Audio: AM-1400 WWWS (Buffalo) & GoGriffs.com
Talent: Jay Moran (p-x-p)
Live Stats: Available through GoBroncs.com
Twitter: @Griffs_MBB | #Griffs; #MAACHoops
The Canisius men's basketball team starts the final weekend of the 2013-14 regular season Friday night when the team takes on Rider. The game will tipoff at 9 p.m., and it will be broadcast to a national TV audience on ESPNU.
• Canisius starts the final weekend of the regular season tonight when the Golden Griffins travel to play at Rider. The game will be broadcast live on ESPNU.
• The Griffs closed out the home portion of their schedule Feb. 22, with a 90-78 win over Fairfield in the Koessler Athletic Center. In that game, Canisius trailed by as many as 12 points in the first half.
• Canisius is 19-10 overall and 13-5 in MAAC play. The 13 MAAC wins this season are a new program record.
• Canisius will be making its fifth appearance on national TV tonight at Rider. The five national TV games for the Blue and Gold this season are a new program record.
FAST BREAK POINTS
• Canisius senior Billy Baron leads Canisius and ranks third in the nation with his 24.8 points per game scoring average. In the team’s last five games, he’s averaging 30.2 points, 6.2 assists and 6.0 rebounds per game.
• Baron ranks second nationally with his 718 points scored this season. In the NCAA stats release on Monday, Baron ranked in the top-20 in 12 different statistical categories.
• Canisius senior Chris Perez had 13 points in the team’s win over Fairfield Feb. 22. He’s averaging 18.8 points per game over the team’s last five outings.
• Rider’s Alumni Gymnasium has not been very welcoming to the Canisius men’s basketball program over the years. The Griffs are 2-15 all-time in the road against the Broncs, with one of those two wins coming last season.
ABOUT THE BRONCS
• Rider comes into tonight’s game with an overall record of 13-14 and a 9-9 mark in MAAC play. The Broncs have dropped two straight and five of their last six, dating back to Feb. 6.
• Rider has three players averaging double figures in the scoring column, led by Anthony Myles. The senior guard is good for 16.2 points per game, which ranks ninth in the MAAC.
• Fellow senior Daniel Stewart is chipping in 15.3 points and a team best 6.1 rebounds per game. Stewart currently ranks 12th in the conference in rebounds per game average.
• Freshman Jimmie Taylor averages 11.9 points per game while shooting 46.8 percent from 3-point range. His 11.9 points per game ranks second among all MAAC freshmen.
• As a team, Rider ranks sixth in the conference in points per game average (74.2) and ninth in average points allowed (75.7 per game).
CANISIUS - RIDER SERIES
• This will be the 40th all-time meeting between these two programs, with Rider leading the series 30-9.
• The Griffs travel to Alumni Gymnasium with just two wins in 17 games on Rider’s campus. Prior to Feb. 11, 2011, Canisius had never won a road game against Rider in a series that dates back to 1930.
• Including Canisius’ 94-91 win over Rider Jan. 10, 13 of the previous 39 games in this series have been decided by five points or less. Rider is 10-3 in those contests.