Game No. 2
Canisius College (1-0) at University of Detroit (1-0)
Tuesday, Nov. 13 — 7 p.m.
Calihan Hall - Detroit, Mich.
Live Stats: DetroitTitans.com
Live Video: HorizonLeague.org (Free)
Live Audio: GoGriffs.com
Mike Scott (p-x-p)
- The Canisius women’s basketball team plays its first road game of the 2012-13 season, facing the University of Detroit at Calihan Hall on Tuesday night.
- Canisius opened the season with a 73-57 win over the University at Buffalo on Friday night. The Golden Griffins started the season with a win for the first time since the 2008-09 campaign.
- Canisius was picked to fourth in the MAAC preseason coaches poll released on Friday, its highest projection since being picked third prior to the start of the 2008-09 season.
- Junior Jamie Ruttle was named to the preseason All-MAAC First Team on Nov. 1, the first Golden Griffin junior since Becky Zak in 2004-05 to receive the honor.
- Ruttle, along with senior Ashley Durham and sophomore Kayla Hoohuli were named to the All-Big Four Teams on Oct. 25. Ruttle received First-Team honors while Durham and Hoohuli earned Second-Team honors.
- Senior Allison Braun will serve as a team captain for the second consecutive season and will be joined by juniors Jen Morabito and Courtney VandeBovenkamp as captains for the 2012-13 campaign.
- Tuesday’s game is part of the Jesuit Basketball Spotlight. It is a nationwide effort to capitalize on basketball games between Jesuit schools and, through those games, bring greater positive awareness and exposure to Jesuit education and its shared mission.
SCOUTING THE GRIFFS
- Senior Allison Braun returned to the starting lineup in the season opener after missing the last 12 games of the 2011-12 season with a lower-leg injury. Braun is shooting 52.2 percent from the floor in her last 16 appearances and has a 1.53 assist-turnover ratio in her last 11 games.
- Senior Ashley Durham finished second on the team in scoring last season and was second in the conference with a 4.2 assists per game average. Durham ranked seventh in the country in free-throw percentage, setting the program’s single-season record at 89.1 percent.
- Senior Ashley Wilkes had her first double-double with 12 points and 13 rebounds against Buffalo on Friday. She led the team in field goal percentage (48.9) last year.
- Junior Jamie Ruttle is the team’s leading returning scorer, averaging 11.6 points per game to rank 11th in the conference last season. The 6-foot-3 forward has started 54 straight games and averaged 15.0 points per game in the month of February last season.
- Junior Jen Morabito ranked 19th in the country as a sophomore with a 38.5 3-point field goal percentage and led the MAAC at 2.2 3-point field goals made per game in 2011-12. Morabito made three 3-pointers on Friday, her 20th career game with at least three 3-pointers.
- Junior Jen Lennox matched her career high with four blocks on Friday and has 14 blocks her last 14 games. Lennox has made 60 career appearances, including 15 starts.
- Sophomore Kayla Hoohuli, a 2012 MAAC All-Rookie Team selection, shot 40.4 percent on 3-pointers in MAAC play, ranking fifth in the conference. She became the fourth player in program history to make 50 3-pointers in her freshman season and drew a team-high 13 charges last season.
- Sophomore Brooke Angelos started the final three games last season, playing at least 21 minutes in each of the last five games of her freshman year. Angelos averaged 6.0 assists per 40 minutes and had a career-high seven assists in the regular-season finale against Siena.
- Junior Courtney VandeBovenkamp will miss the 2012-13 season with a knee injury suffered at the end of October.
- Detroit returns three starters and eight letterwinners from the 2011-12 team that went 20-14 overall and 14-4 in the Horizon League.
- Detroit advanced to the Horizon League title game and made an appearance in the WNIT last season, losing at Toledo. The Titans handed No. 9 Green Bay its first loss last season, after the Phoenix started the year 20-0.
- On Friday at Michigan, Detroit trailed 38-20 late in the first half before scoring 12 straight points to make it a six-point deficit. The Titans could never get the deficit under two possessions as the Wolverines made a basket each time.
- Shareta Brown led the team with 19 points and also had eight rebounds. Audrey Matteson had 12 points and a team-high nine rebounds.
- Detroit received votes in the Collegeinsider.com Mid-Major Top 25 preseason poll. The Titans were picked to finish second in the Horizon League preseason poll.
- Brown broke the school record with 611 points scored last season, earning Horizon League Co-Newcomer of the Year honors, as well as First-Team All-League honors.
- Autumn Rademacher is in her fifth season as coach of her alma mater (class of 1997). Rademacher has a 62-66 career record with the Titans.
- Canisius and Detroit have split the four all-time meetings between the teams.
- Canisius has won the last two meetings, winning 54-52 in Calihan Hall on Nov. 24, 2010 and beat the Titans 80-59 in the KAC on Dec. 28, 2008.
- The Titans won on Jan. 7, 1993, in Detroit (77-55) and on Dec. 4, 1993, in Buffalo (69-61).