Coming off one of the best regular-season wins in school history, the Canisius College men’s lacrosse team returns to the Albany area to face conference rival Siena on Saturday. The Griffs and Saints are set to meet at 3 p.m. with the game being televised live on Time Warner SportsChannel.
SCOUTING THE GOLDEN GRIFFINS
• Canisius is 4-4 on the year and 1-1 in MAAC play. The Griffs are coming off a 14-10 win against nationally-ranked Albany on Tuesday.
• Junior midfielder Tim Edwards led the Griffs with a career-best eight points (1g, 7a) in the win over Albany and now has a team-best 23 points and 15 assists in 2014.
• Edwards has also led Canisius at the faceoff X by winning 69.0 percent of his faceoffs.
• Sophomore Vince Gravino has netted a team-best 11 goals this season.
• The Griffs own the best scoring defense in the MAAC at 9.38 goals per game.
• Alex Govenettio has anchored the unit with an 8.95 goals against average and .542 save percentage.
GRIFFS EARN HISTORIC FIRST
• Canisius is coming off one of the best wins in the program’s history on Tuesday.
• The Griffs earned a 14-10 victory against No. 13 Albany, posting the team’s first-ever win against a nationally-ranked school.
• Junior Tim Edwards led the Griffs with a career-best eight points (1g, 7a) in the win, while also winning 9-of-13 faceoffs.
• Junior Alex Govenettio anchored a strong Canisius defense with 12 saves. The Griffs held the nation’s top-ranked offense to its lowest output of the season and six goals below its average.
EDWARDS NAMED NATIONAL PLAYER OF THE WEEK
• Thanks to his career-best performance in Tuesday’s win against nationally-ranked Albany, junior Tim Edwards collected National Player of the Week accolades from The Baltimore Sun on Friday.
• Edwards totaled 10 points (2g, 8a) during the week, including a personal-best eight points against the 13th-ranked Great Danes. The junior also won 22-of-31 faceoffs (71.0 percent) in the two games versus Detroit and Albany.
NEARING THE CENTURY MARK
• With his career-best performance on Tuesday, Tim Edwards is now approaching a milestone.
• Edwards has totaled 94 points on 41 goals and 53 assists during his standout career.
• The junior is just six points shy of becoming the 18th player in the program’s history (and just the seventh midfielder) to reach the 100-point mark.
CANISIUS - SIENA SERIES HISTORY
• The Griffs have played the Saints more than any other school with the teams meeting for the 26th time on Saturday.
• Canisius holds an 18-7 edge in the all-time series against Siena.
• The Saints, however, own a 6-2 advantage in the last seven seasons.
• Last season, Siena cruised to a 16-6 win against Canisius in Buffalo.
• The Griffs’ last win in the series came in the 2012 MAAC Championship when Canisius upset the top-seeded Saints, 10-9.
ABOUT THE SAINTS
• Siena is 5-3 on the season and has started 2-0 in MAAC play.
• Richie Hurley leads not only the Saints in scoring but also the MAAC (ranks fourth nationally). He has recorded 41 points on 15 goals and 26 assists in eight games this season.
• Jordan Barlow and Colin Clive are also tied for the team lead with 15 points.
• Tommy Cordts has started all eight games in net for the Saints with a 9.95 goals against average and .516 save percentage.
• Casey Dowd ranks second in the MAAC to Tim Edwards with a .610 faceoff winning percentage.
Men's Lacrosse Returns to MAAC Play at Siena
Courtesy: Canisius College Athletics