CANISIUS WINS MAAC CHAMPIONSHIP
• The Griffs earned a spot in the NCAA Tournament by winning the 2012 MAAC Championship.
• Third-seeded Canisius earned victories over No. 2 Detroit, 12-10, and top-seeded Siena, 10-9, to earn the program's second conference title.
• Senior Jimmy Haney was named the MAAC Tournament MVP after leading the Griffs with nine points and eight goals in the two wins.
• Seniors Sean Callahan and Brendan Murphy were also on the All-Tournament Team.
GRIFFS TO MAKE SECOND NCAA TOURNAMENT APPEARANCE
• With winning the program's second MAAC Championship, Canisius is set to make its second appearance in the NCAA Tournament.
• In their first trip to the tournament, Canisius lost at third-seeded and eventual national champion Syracuse, 20-3, in 2008.
NCAA CHAMPIONSHIP BREAKDOWN
• The Griffs are representing the MAAC on Saturday. The MAAC's champion is still in search of its first win in tournament play, going 0-10 all-time (including a 0-1 mark by Canisius).
• Loyola won the ECAC Championship with a 14-7 win against Fairfield. The Greyhounds are making their 18th trip to the NCAA Tournament with a 9-17 record.
• Canisius did not play any team in the field of 16 this year, while Loyola owns a 3-1 mark against tournament teams.
• The winner of the contest advances to play either No. 8 North Carolina or Denver next Saturday in Annapolis.
• The Canisius Class of 2012 is finishing its careers in style.
• Close to becoming the first class at Canisius to not qualify for a MAAC Tournament since the team made its first in 2003, the 16-member class has carried the Griffs to the MAAC title.
• Eight of the team's 10 starters in 2012 are seniors with the class accounting for 78.4 percent of the team's goals (91-of-116) and 71.2 percent of the team's points (136-of-191).
• During the MAAC Tournament, the class contributed 18 of the team's 22 goals (81.8 percent) and 28 of the team's 37 points (75.7 percent) in addition to two All-Tournament Team honorees on the defensive side.
CANISIUS - LOYOLA SERIES HISTORY
• The Griffs and Greyhounds are meeting for the first time in lacrosse.
• Overall, Canisius is 2-24 all-time against teams currently in the ECAC.
ABOUT THE GREYHOUNDS
• Loyola is the top seed and ranked second in the latest USILA Coaches Poll after completing a 14-1 season in 2012 and winning the ECAC Championship. The Greyhounds' only loss of the season was a 10-9 overtime setback to 10th-ranked Johns Hopkins on April 28.
• Mike Sawyer leads the Greyhounds with 53 points and 45 goals in 2012. Eric Lusby ranks second on the team with 49 points and 37 tallies.
• Justin Ward has paced the offense with a team-leading 26 assists this season.
• Jack Runkel has seen a majority of time in goal for Loyola, posting a 7.93 goals against average and .537 save percentage.
• J.P. Dalton has been the Greyhounds' main weapon at the faceoff X, winning 54.2 percent of his restarts (180-332).