As the school year comes to an end mixed emotions are in the air. We started our countdowns to summer around the same time we were handed our syllabi for the semester. Now that it’s almost here we can’t decide if we want it to hurry up or slow down. Finals are coming faster than ever and those big term projects we thought we had plenty of time to finish are all the sudden due tomorrow.
Even bigger than that, the games we have prepared nine months for are upon us. When we arrived at school in August we had one collective goal: to win another MAAC Championship and advance in the NCAA Tournament and it is time to make those goals happen. For seniors it means one last hurrah and a shot to be the second team in Canisius athletics history to win four straight conference championships. And for everyone else it means a chance to become a part of history.
This past weekend we celebrated Senior Day on the Demske. Underclassmen spent hours making posters and decorating the locker room with streamers, balloons and an embarrassing selfie or two of our amazing seniors. This year’s senior class is a special one; the four of them have played a huge role in the development of the program to this point. This class helped win the first MAAC Championship and have played a role in every one since then. They know how it feels to win and they work hard every day to make sure everyone on the team can experience that again. The four of them will truly be missed next year.
Like any senior class superlatives are in order:
• Most likely to be on Broadway
• Most likely to own 5 guinea pigs
• Most likely to motivate you
• Most likely to make people laugh
• Most likely to support you
• Most likely to catch the attention of a star basketball player
• Most likely to open her own hair braiding business for laxers only
• Most likely to nail her handstand by the time she graduates
• Most likely to become a world renowned yoga instructor
• Best alter ego...Patrick for those not lucky enough to come into contact with Maria’s alter ego
• Most likely to take over the lax world
• Most passionate
With the excitement of the MAAC tournament and possibilities of NCAA’s we cannot wait to get on the field this weekend. We hope to see you at the Demske at 8 p.m. on Friday and again on Sunday for the Championship!
Just keep Re’Laxing,