Canisius (20-10) at Akron (6-23)
April 10 - 1 p.m.
Lee R. Jackson Field (Akron, Ohio)
Game 1: RHP Rohn Pierce (1-1, 5.22 ERA) vs. RHP Jon Pusateri (1-5, 12.15 ERA)
Game 2: TBA vs. RHP Michael Steensen (1-1, 11.48 ERA)
- The Canisius College baseball team plays a mid-week doubleheader at the University of Akron on Wednesday afternoon.
- Canisius has a 16-7 road record, with the 16 road wins tied with Cal-State Fullerton for the most at the Division I level.
- Canisius has had three winning streaks of five or more games this season. Rider (two) and Marist (one) are the only other teams in the conference with five-game winning streaks.
- Canisius has had 14 winning streaks of five or more games since 2008, the highest total in the conference.
- Canisius is tied with Pittsburgh for the most wins by a team in the Northeast region.
- Three Canisius pitchers combined to throw the program’s first nine-inning no-hitter at the Division I level in an 8-0 win at Iona on March 29.
- Canisius has won 195 games since the start of the 2008 season, the fourth-highest total in the Northeast.
- Canisius has qualified for the MAAC Championship in each of the last six seasons, winning the MAAC regular-season title in 2008 and 2010.
- Canisius has had eight players selected in the Major League Baseball Draft since 2008.
- The Golden Griffins have had three All-Americans in the last five seasons.
- Canisius has had three freshman All-Americans since 2007, including sophomore Devon Stewart following the 2012 campaign.
- Coach Mike McRae won his 300th game on March 16. McRae has 307 wins in his career, trailing only Don Colpoys (325 wins) in the Canisius record books.
LOOK BACK AT LAST YEAR’S MEETING
- Canisius defeated Akron 10-6 last year at Canal Park, the home of the Akron Aeros, the double-A affilliate of the Cleveland Indians.
- Canisius trailed 2-0 after two innings before the Griffs scored 10 straight runs to take control of the game en route to the non-conference win.
- Five Golden Griffins had multi-hit games. Jimmy Luppens went 2-for-4 with two runs scored and an RBI. Jesse Kelso also went 2-for-4 with two runs scored while Ryan Coppinger was 2-for-3 with two runs scored and an RBI. Mike Booth and Jose Torralba each had two hit days as well.
- Eric Stolzenburg picked up his first career win by throwing 1.2 scoreless innings of relief.
- Seven Golden Griffins pitched in the game. Aaron Casper threw two scoreless innings of relief while Jason Rubenstein also threw an inning of relief.
- Akron enters Wednesday’s doubleheader with a 6-23 record after splitting its last two games. The Zips are 1-6 at home this weekend and 3-6 in the Mid-American Conference.
- The Zips are hitting .229 on the season with a 5.40 earned run average and .954 fielding percentage. Akron is averaging 2.9 runs per game while giving up 6.6 runs per contest.
- Matt LaRocca is hitting .303 with two homers and 14 RBI in 26 starts. Devan Ahart leads the team with seven stolen bases.
- LaRocca also has a 1.35 ERA in 20 innings and 10 relief appearances with 17 strikeouts.
- Samuel Trecaso has not allowed a run in 10 relief appearances (15.1 innings).
- Five Akron relievers have made at least six appearances with an ERA under 4.00.