Canisius (7-10-1, 6-4-1 AHA) vs. Sacred Heart (5-15-0, 4-9-0 AHA)
Dates: Saturday, January 11 / Sunday, January 12
Times: 3:05 p.m. / 3:05 p.m.
Location: Buffalo, N.Y. | Buffalo State Sports Arena
TV/Webcast: America One Network
Live Audio: GoGriffs.com
DI Series History: Canisius leads, 21-17-5
The Canisius College hockey team returns home for the first time in 42 days to host Sacred Heart this weekend. The Griffs welcome the Pioneers to the Buffalo State Sports Arena on Saturday and Sunday at 3:05 p.m.
SCOUTING THE GRIFFS
• Canisius (7-10-1, 6-4-1 AHA) is coming off its first sweep of Holy Cross since the 1999-00 season and is tied for fourth in the league standings.
• Kyle Gibbons leads Canisius with 16 points and eight goals. Ralph Cuddemi is second with 12 points after a four-point series at Holy Cross.
• Tony Capobianco owns a 3.17 goals against average and .907 save percentage in 11 starts, while Keegan Asmundson has posted a 2.37 goals against average and .936 save percentage in seven starts.
• The Griffs are happy to be returning home.
• Canisius is the last remaining unbeaten team at home this year with a 3-0-1 mark.
• The Griffs’ four-game unbeaten start at home is just one shy of the program’s record (started 4-0-1 in 2007-08).
• Dating back to last season, the Griffs are undefeated in their last seven home games (6-0-1).
ASMUNDSON NAMED AHA GOALIE OF THE WEEK
• Junior Keegan Asmundson picked up Atlantic Hockey Goaltender of the Week honors for the second time this season on Tuesday.
• He earned the accolade after posting his first collegiate shutout with 31 saves in Saturday’s 3-0 victory at Holy Cross.
• The junior ranks seventh nationally with a .936 save percentage and 30th with a 2.37 goals against average (both first in Atlantic Hockey).
CUDDEMI DOUBLES UP IN SECOND SEASON
• Sophomore Ralph Cuddemi has carried his strong play from the end of last season into the 2013-14 campaign.
• As a rookie, Cuddemi recorded half of his 10 points in March last year to help the Griffs to the 2013 Atlantic Hockey Championship.
• Cuddemi now ranks second on the team with 12 points (5g, 7a) in 18 games, two more points then he had last year in 19 fewer contests.
CANISIUS - SACRED HEART SERIES HISTORY
• In 43 meetings between the two schools, Canisius holds a slight advantage in the series, 21-17-5.
• The Griffs have won their last four games against the Pioneers and are unbeaten versus Sacred Heart in the schools’ last seven meetings (5-0-2).
• Last season, the Griffs swept two games at Sacred Heart with 5-1 and 6-3 victories.
• Canisius is also unbeaten in the last five meetings in Buffalo (3-0-2) dating back to 2008.
ABOUT THE PIONEERS
• Sacred Heart is 5-15-0 on the season with a 4-9-0 record in Atlantic Hockey play.
• The Pioneers have lost their last three games after posting a 3-0 win at Connecticut on Dec. 29.
• Justin Danforth leads the team with 13 points on two goals and 11 assists.
• Drew George and Ben Lake have both netted a team-best five goals.
• Alex Vazzano has started 17-of-20 games in net, posting a 3.78 goals against average and .897 save percentage.
Griffs Hockey Returns Home to Face Sacred Heart
Courtesy: Canisius College Athletics