AT A GLANCE
Dates: Sept. 14-15, 2012
Bucknell Golf Course -
Par 70 - 6,224 Yards
(Orange), Bucknell (Blue), Colgate, Hampton, Laval, Lehigh and Messiah.
GOLF TEAM HEADS TO BUCKNELL THIS WEEKEND
- The Canisius College golf team returns
to action Sept. 14-15 at the annual Bucknell Invitational at the Bucknell Golf
Course in Lewisburg, Pa.
- The Golden Griffins have taken part in
this event in each of the last two years and were also in the field in 2009,
where the squad placed second in the field behind the host Bisons.
- At least year's event, Canisius
finished eighth in the field but senior Mike
Spiotta took 11th overall
with his 54-hole score of 293.
- Spiotta and fellow senior Michael Carrig each
shot season-low rounds of 69 in the first round of the 2011 Bucknell
CANISIUS WINS THIRD-STRAIGHT LITTLE THREE
- For the first time in program history,
the Canisius golf team secured its third-straight Little Three Golf
Championship Sept. 5, at Harvest Hill Golf Course in Orchard Park, N.Y., when
the Blue and Gold posted a 36-hole score of 590, nine strokes better than rival
- Canisius was led by seniors Michael Carrig and
Mike Spiotta, who finished 1-2 in the final individual
rankings. Carrig posted a two-round tally of 140, which was five strokes better
than his teammate Spiotta.
- Freshman Hunter Sagar finished
sixth in the field for the Griffs after he posted a two-round score of 151,
highlighted by his career-low round of 73 in the afternoon session.
- St. Bonaventure took second for the
third-straight year with its team score of 599, while Niagara took third with a
score of 625.
- The Griffs had won back-to-back titles
at the Little Three just one time before winning the 2009 and 2010 crowns, with
their previous back-to-back victories coming during the 1956 and 1957 seasons.
CARRIG HAS A CAREER-BEST DAY AT LITTLE THREE
- Canisius senior Michael Carrig won
the individual medalist honors at the 2012 Little Three Golf Championship Sept.
5, with his 36-hole score of 140, which was four-under par.
- The Buffalo, N.Y., native shot a
career-low 67 in the first round of the Little Three Championship, which was
the lowest round for a Canisius golfer since 2009 and also stands as a new
course record at Harvest Hill.
- By winning the Little Three event,
Carrig has earned an automatic berth into the 2013 Porter Cup, considered to be
one of the top amateur golf tournaments in North America.
SPIOTTA EARNS ANOTHER TOP-FIVE FINISH
- Canisius senior Mike Spiotta shot
a one-over par 145 at the Little Three Golf Championship Sept. 5, and earned a
second-place finish, behind teammate Michael
- Spiotta's second round was an even-par
72, which stands as his best round this season. His 36-hole tally of 145 is a
new career low as well.
- The Batavia, N.Y., native has played in 27 career events
entering this weekend's action at Bucknell, which is the most for any Canisius
golfer on the active roster. He also leads the roster with four career top-five